The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Testing Web Application?

I am a newbie and want to develop a Web-Application for online order processing and delivery reports. I want to use ASP.NET. In order to test my application and online data access capabilities, I want to store the database on a remote server and test my cpp. connecting to that server.

I want to know where I can find a FREE/Paid space which is reliable. And also please let me know how to test these type of applications.
RK Send private email
Monday, July 24, 2006

As a fellow newbie I would suggest testing it on your own box. I did this with Apache on Windows to test php and perl applications, as well as to preview web documents prior to actually posting them on a live website. In fact, I would stress NOT posting any new apps to a live site until you've completely tested them, especially if they will be processing sensitive data. Also, it can be quite tedious to have to upload the newest version of your app to test it everytime you want to debug. Granted you could set permissions on your host files, but that too is more work.

Personally, not being as experienced with networking as with programming I found MS IIS somewhat difficult to configure and more complex than I needed. I set up apache using the apache win32 tutorial on http://ricocheting.com/, which is one of the better tutorials I've seen.

As for webspace, I ended up using godaddy for basic web needs. Cheap and reliable (so far) with very high storage and bandwidth.
JB Send private email
Monday, July 24, 2006

Use your own box if possible. I setup a Windows 2003 SBE machine using an MSDN license a friend had (he's a contractor) for my QA box. It makes it fairly easy to configure the server for your application. Its nice having a seperate machine for your source repository, database, QA testing, nightly build, etc.

Alternatively, you may be able to use a budget-class hosting service ($5/month) for a website. If you can expose the DB to internet calls, you're set.

Realistically, though, if you're serious using a spare machine has a lot of plusses. After proper configuration, it'll take care of itself.
Manes
Thursday, July 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics