The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

ASP.net fundamental question-confused

One of my friends said that a chat application,in asp.net ,they developed,web server also hosted database,they had a business layer and data layer..data layer got collection from database,and gave to business layer..now since datalayer is in a separate dll from business and web UI layer,the collection were always available to use,from any web page/business layer..is such a scenario really possible? if so,why do we need cache..

I need some clarification here..how things work..in asp.net

thks
vishy
Sunday, July 16, 2006

That is some gibberish.
Danny Boy
Sunday, July 16, 2006

Breaking your application into tiers is a common scenario for most frameworks these days.  It's not really related to caching.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Vishy,
I am curious, are you asking these and your other questions for an actual work-related project, or just as a hobby or school exercise?  It seems that you are trying to learn basic development through message boards, maybe that is not the most efficient approach.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Vishy, please stop posting when you are drunk.  It makes you look ignorant.  :-)
Vince Send private email
Monday, July 17, 2006

When IIS gets the first ASP.NET request, it creates a .NET application domain and loads the assemblies required to process the request.  If any of those assemblies have static data (e.g. singletons), that data will persist between web requests.  Microsoft's Cache class uses this behavior and adds a few methods to expire data, etc. but you can use this behavior yourself.  however, be aware that IIS periodically recycles the .NET process and all static data is re-initialized.
Mike S Send private email
Monday, July 17, 2006

In a typical chat application, there is some data that doesn't need to be read from the database every time. For example, the names of the chat participants.

A database is usually used when you need to send a message to someone and that person is not available; the database acts as a temporary storage and the message is delivered when that person next comes online.

I think Vishy's friend is trying to confuse Vishy. It is easy to create a chat program using ASP.NET, but a chat program does a very poor job of describing what ASP.NET is and how it works.
TheDavid
Monday, July 17, 2006

Vishy,

Your confusion does not stem from your friend, it stems from your not reading up fundamentals of ASP.NET, and concept of business/data layers. Read up on them and you can make an informed decision on what your friends says makes sense or not.
netdude
Tuesday, July 18, 2006

i am clear now..my friend told me that they have created a provider class which had static methods and had collections which were returned to UI/business layer..as mike said static instances are conserved..a sort of own cache like MS cache..
vishy
Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics