The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

yellowpage database for a local website

Hi guys
I m given the task of finding out how to get yellowpages database into a websystem being built
I know that google has used its vast search index to collate this database and yahoo has a more mixed approach to doing this. I wanted to post to this group of people, if one of you guys has experience integrating yp database into your site.

I want to find out if there are any government databases available, or if there is a commercial supplier like navteq and teledata, please let me know the best and cost effective option.

Should i expect the input to be a csv file, or text file or mysql/postgres db.

thanks a lot
Anil medio Send private email
Saturday, July 15, 2006

Yes, you can buy it... many of these directory sites would happily sell you their listings.

Or, if you accept info from public submissions, you can wait for spammers to do it for you.  ;)
KC Send private email
Saturday, July 15, 2006

You also have the option of screen scraping the web pages and  populating your DB.

PM me if you would like some help in that.
scraper Send private email
Sunday, July 16, 2006

I had purchased a database from Acxiom ( http://www.acxiom.com/default.aspx?Country_Code=USA&ID=1851 ) a couple of years back. They have different options (csv, txt, etc) for the data. You also get access to their categorization for the listings but be prepared to do data cleanups (incorrect data, miscategorized listings, etc). You can signup for monthly or quarterly updates.
anand Send private email
Sunday, July 16, 2006

hi scraper
if you are reading this please contact me and we can talk about how to scrape the data
thanks
anil Send private email
Thursday, July 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics