The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Labelling functionality

I want to add labelling functionality to my software and I want it really slick and easy to use. I don't see the point in re-inventing the wheel here, so I am looking for ideas from other packages. I have had a look at the labelling functionality in MS Word and Avery Design Pro and neither strike me as very user friendly.

Can anyone point me at some slick and easy to use labelling software (or software with labelling functionality)? Preferably with a free trial I can play with.
Anon, not to tip off the competition
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Check out glabel ... It's really easy to use and has nice mail merge-like features so you can pass in the needed data.

http://glabels.sourceforge.net/
Steve Moyer Send private email
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Whatever interface you choose, you will find a nice big library of label definitions pre-defined in one of the files that ships with OpenOffice. I cannot remember whether it comes in XML, or I converted it to XML, but I ship this XML file with my app to provide the standard templates.
anon
Thursday, July 13, 2006

Steve,
Thanks.

Anon,
That could be a very helpful tip, thanks.
Thursday, July 13, 2006

What kind of labels are you talking about? Address labels? Labels with barcodes?

At the low end, the Dymo printers come with label design software and the ability to send DDE commands to the label printing software. I used this method on a project for printing various health clinic labels and it worked great. It also gives the user the ability to design new labels and link database fields to named fields on the label. You will have to supply the glue.

At the higher end there are Zebra/Eltron printers that support very powerful and fast command languages, even a form of BASIC.
MBJ Send private email
Friday, July 14, 2006

>Address labels?

Amongst others. Not barcodes. The key thing is to integrate it with my software so it is very easy to use (unlike most mail merges). The software is multi-platform, so integrating with other labelling apps is unlikely to work out. Anyway integrating with another app is unlikely to give the ease of use I am after.
Saturday, July 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics