The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Dynamically creating a .pdf with somesones name at the bottom

Does anyone have any experience with how to create a .pdf with the users name at the bottom?  I think it is an interesting way to control illegal copying.  Sure I may let someone borrow my copy, but I would not put it on the internet for mass copying.  Although I haven't tried editing my name out of it yet.
Mark Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

You can either buy a third party tool to generate .pdfs (they exist for about every language out there) or if you're really bored/poor/733t, the .pdf spec is open and online so you can write a tool from scratch:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html

It looks like the Pragmatic Programmers do this with their pdf versions of books:

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/starter_kit/faqs/pdf_faq.html
Grant
Thursday, June 29, 2006

I've been pleased with what I've seen of the ReportLabs Python libraries.
George Jansen Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

If your PDF's are mostly text based, LaTeX is a great way to create PDF.
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

Namtar
Thursday, June 29, 2006

Htmldoc converts from html to pdf programatically

Php has its fpdf class
Masiosare Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

If you are using .net, there is a pdf library on sourceforge that will do what you want.  It's called itextsharp and a used it awhile ago (it's a port of the java one mentioned here - itext).
Mike Stephenson Send private email
Thursday, June 29, 2006

Or if you already have Acrobat, and only have a handfull of documents; then you can write into the documents via Acrobat (the writer, not the reader).
nobody
Friday, June 30, 2006

This is what the Pragmatic Programmers do with their books.  I suspect it's fairly effective and does not inconvenience legitimate users... 

Anyway, any class that can let you build PDF's should be able to let you do this.
KC Send private email
Saturday, July 01, 2006

++1 for iText and PdfStamper.

I have done this in a medium volume (10K documents/week) production system.  Works well. 

1.  Create your template PDF document using any PDF creation mechamism.

2.  Use Acrobat to "mark up" where you want names, etc.  I think they call this their FDF feature?

3. Programatically "stamp" the template document with "Bob Smith" or whatever at document creation time.
Steve Send private email
Sunday, July 02, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics