The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Platforms that allow for remote scan of user's hard drive?

I know ActiveX makes this possible (e.g., Trend Micro's HouseCall) - Any others out there besides ActiveX?
Jason
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The product you mentioned (HouseCall) can use signed Java instead of ActiveX (http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp), so I'd imagine that could work for you, too.
Bill Foecke Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

ActiveX is just a DLL, so it sounds like you're actually asking for the easiest way to get code onto a user's computer.

I've seen some administrative apps that offer 'remote execution'.  I've thought about how they do this for a long time and my best guess is they are administrators in a windows domain, install a service on the remote computer (the service executable resides on a management server).  They then start the remote service which downloads the payload exe, runs it, deletes it when done, and then removes the service.

If there are other ways, I'm not aware of them.
PA Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Two other possibilities: Scanning via the administrative share (ie \\USERPC\C$) and putting code into a user login script.  These are all obviously geared towards a PC on a LAN.  For over the Internet, I think .NET has some sort of OneClick install.
PA Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

You might be able to do it with a signed Java applet
Arethuza Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

If you are looking for pure remote scanning, whereby a random user logs into your site and starts a scan, then I think the most common technology is ActiveX. An ActiveX control is really not much different for a standard DLL on your PC, or for that matter even a standard EXE, it's just that it runs out of your browser. There are a bunch of compatability problems involved (I think Firefox, for one, does not support ActiveX, but I may be wrong), and also security issues such as people running IE with ActiveX disabled or not having admin permissions on their PC to allow a control to install.
Simon@AutoUpdate+ Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thanks everyone, this was very helpful.  Looks like it'd be better to go with an exe.
Jason
Friday, June 16, 2006

Find the source code for a virus.
not that i encourage viruses
Friday, June 16, 2006

Take a look at how some of the free online AV scanners work that launch from a browser.
Cymen
Thursday, June 22, 2006

Whoops, that brought us full circle. Nevermind!
Cymen
Thursday, June 22, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics