The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Vista and XP themes

I'm putting in support for XP themes in my application, but seeing the huge difference between Win2K controls and XP controls, I've just suddenly had a horrible thought about Vista support.

For those of you who've tested out their applications on Vista, do themes work as they do in XP? Will I have to change my code again to make Vista "themes" work?

(PS I know I could download Vista and find out, but I only have one machine here and I don't want to risk breaking it)
Paranoiac
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Use virtualization software to run Vista without disrupting your desktop.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I thought of that but I don't think my three year old machine could handle it. :(

I'm waiting until Vista comes out before I get a new box.
Paranoiac
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Vista doesn't work well under Virtual PC. You can't use the AeroGlass stuff anyway so the point is moot.
anon
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The apps I tested all work with Visa. Don't sweat it.
DualMon
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Thanks DualMon!
Paranoiac
Thursday, June 15, 2006

No way to be sure if you don't try it. Can't remember what it was but even though my app looks ok in XP I found some small thing that was not right in Vista Beta 1.

Also the installer complained halfway (something about not being able to overwrite some files...)
JSD Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics