The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VB6: working with files

How do I work through files in a FileListBox and rename them?
Example: I have files that I don’t want others to see what type of files they are.  Then I want to copy these files to an external device (programmatically).  Currently I’m using the FileSystemObject to copy the files from my harddrive to the external device, the files on my harddrive is of an unknown type.  On the external device I want to rename the file extention to make it usable.
How do I work through a list of files in a list box and change the file extentions?
Bi-C Send private email
Monday, June 12, 2006

How can you rename the file with the appropriate extension if you don't know the file type?

For example, my Firefox browser's cache has a lot of files in it with no extension - if I want to copy them to a thumb (usb) drive, and be able to use them in another application, I need to know what the hell they are. Some are GIF images, some are Shockwave Flash files - you get my drift.

Oh, I see what you're asking now - well, the only way I can think of is to use some external resource like  - open the file for binary, check the initial x# bytes, and copy the file from the source to the destination with the appropriate file extension.

For example, GIF files have a HEADER block in the first 6 bytes - the ASCII string "GIF87a" or "GIF89a". If your file has these 6 bytes at the beginning, you do a:

filecopy "c:\myfiles\somefile" "e:\myfiles\somefile.gif"

in VB6.

But you will need to decipher the file format in order to give the destination file the correct file extension.

Brad Thomas Send private email
Monday, June 12, 2006
Just use a second hidden listbox showing the file extension.
J. B. Send private email
Monday, June 12, 2006
Use the FileSystemObject in the Microsoft Scripting Runtime and include scrrun.dll in your installation.

Dim FSO As FileSystemObject
    Dim T As TextStream
    Dim F As File
    Set FSO = New FileSystemObject
    If FSO.FileExists("C:\fsotest.txt") Then FSO.DeleteFile ("C:\fsotest.txt")
    Set T = FSO.CreateTextFile("C:\testfso.txt", True)
    T.WriteLine "Hello World"
    Set F = FSO.GetFile("C:\testfso.txt")
    F.Name = "fsotest.txt"
    Set F = Nothing
    Set T = FSO.OpenTextFile("C:\fsotest.txt")
    MsgBox T.ReadLine
    Set T = Nothing
    Set FSO = Nothing
Rob Conley Send private email
Monday, June 12, 2006
I should've explained better.
I know what the file extentions are, but on the harddrive its an "invalid" extention since I don't want somebody opening files they shouldn't be opening.

Once the files get moved to the external device, the extensions must be set to valid.

As example: an MP3 player with MP3 files.  On the harddrive the files must be of an unknown extension (say .xxx), once the mp3's are copied to the mp3 player (via USB), the files must be given back their proper extention to be able to work.

How would I do that?
Bi-C Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Ha!  Got it!  solution is actually quite simple: it's just the change the file name.  And this is how it's done:

(lbFile being the FileListBox)
(ttt is the old extention and mp3 is the new extention)

Dim iCnt As Integer
    Dim sFilename As String
    Dim sNewName As String
    Dim fSys As FileSystemObject
    Dim sMyFile As File
    Set fSys = New FileSystemObject

For iCnt = 0 To lbFile.ListCount - 1
        sFilename = lbFile.Path & "\" & lbFile.List(iCnt)
        Set sMyFile = fSys.GetFile(sFilename)
        sNewName = Replace(sFilename, "ttt", "mp3")
        sMyFile.Move (sNewName)
    Next iCnt
    Set fSys = Nothing
Bi-C Send private email
Thursday, June 15, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics