The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

UI design - cut/copy/paste

Has anyone seen statistics about which of the following people use the most for cut/copy/paste?

Do they use...
 - toolbar buttons?
 - the edit menu?
 - keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-X/C/V)?

Steve B Send private email
Sunday, June 11, 2006
i don't have any usage stats but I do have valid uses for all 3 methods

myself, i use the shortcut keys cause its faster

most of our users tend to use the toolbar buttons

when doing phone support i always say on the menu choose Edit > Copy
rather then saying click on the toolbar button that looks like two little pieces of paper overlapping each other a little bit (and hoping they click the right one)
bumperbox Send private email
Sunday, June 11, 2006
I always use the context menu.
Mr Awkward
Monday, June 12, 2006
All modes are in use. You need to support all of them, and on Win32 don't forget about the legacy Windows shortcuts (Ctrl-Ins for Copy, Shift-Ins for Paste, Shift-Del for Cut) which are also in use by some.
Monday, June 12, 2006
Jensen Harris reports that for Cut/Copy/Paste in MS Office, users usually use keyboard shortcuts and the context menu items rather than toolbar buttons or the Edit menu. However, compared to other toolbar buttons, the Paste toolbar button gets clicked more than any other toolbar button (because Paste is such a common command), which may or may not be relevant to your problem.
Michael Zuschlag Send private email
Monday, June 12, 2006
To add another data point:

If my hands are at the keyboard, it's the keyboard shortcuts. If my hands are on the mouse/trakball, it's the right-click for context menus.

I *never* use the main menus or toolbars for this. Too slow.
Monday, June 12, 2006
*Interesing* comments.....

My experience echoes bumper box.

Most developers, or experienced windows users are ctrl-c/crtl-v

Novice, or non developer users that work in a application for years and years tend to use the tool bar. I can remember modifying an application, and removing the clip-board icon from the menu bar (I was not thinking!!). Users started complain right away…

And, the edit->menu is also what I use when doing support….

And, right click (context) is what I use when hands are off.

It would seem that all 3, or 4 possible features should be a part of the landscape when possbile...

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Wednesday, June 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics