The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Google Base Database

I'm thinking to do something like google base for fun-sake and to make a database for anything-under-the-sun that interest me in private.

Google base is interesting because it lets the user to define an item's data structure on the fly. But how is this implemented ?
- Do they store the data in a database or just in an XML data ?
- If it's XML, do these XML stored in database ?
- If it's XML, how does the searching work ?
google-base-copycat Send private email
Monday, June 05, 2006

It's magic. That's the secret to Google's success.
Zach M.
Tuesday, June 06, 2006

And why their business is mushrooming.
JustACynic
Tuesday, June 06, 2006

well ...

surely there're some ideas of how to implement this rite ?
Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Before you ponder this further, get your ideas flowing by watching the DabbleDB video demo: http://www.dabbledb.com/

Once I watched this, I immediately wanting to build a CSV to MySQL convertor in PHP (my chosen language). I just love how you take that data from a textarea and Bang!- some funky code makes it into columns and rows automagically. Something along the lines of splitting on commas and new lines. You could generate the same thing yourself with a simple web form with the following fields:

Fields Terminated By:
Fields Enclosed By:
Fields Escaped By:
Lines Terminated By:
CSV Data to be Converted:

Then with the input you just run it through some split()s and untainting (in front of the user so they can refine it) and Boom!

(I'm in no way affiliated with the Dabble dudes and dudettes.)
Gavin Laking Send private email
Wednesday, June 07, 2006

it's an awesome program. it makes me think ...

though til now i still hafn't figured out how to implement my own google base ... :P
Saturday, June 10, 2006

Wow.

I love this. It works so well with the EAV thing I've been working on. Thanks for sharing dabble with me coz I didn't know it before!
Brad Thomas Send private email
Sunday, June 11, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics