The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Live Currency Conversion in Excel

I have an Excel spreadsheet to work out the bulk discount for our software (it's complicated, don't ask :) ), and I often have to calculate the prices in other currencies.

Is there a way of getting the current currency conversion rates from the web into Excel so I can use them without going to www.xe.com or similar?

I'm not a programmer, so be gentle.

Thanks!
Jean
Sunday, June 04, 2006

This site has link to download daily table in .xls format, but I don't know if it has all the currency types you'd want:

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/table.html
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Sunday, June 04, 2006

Here's another that's in text format with a few more currencies.  Should be simple enough to import into excel as csv (comma separated values) format.

http://www.burroak.on.ca/cih_curr.txt
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Sunday, June 04, 2006

1. From the Excel menu, select Data -> Import External Data -> New Web Query.
2. Type xe.com in the address box and click go (if you get script errors, just click the "No" button).
3. Click the little yellow arrow in the upper left corner of the exchange rate table. 
4. Select where you want the table to go (a new sheet with an appropriate name would be a good idea).

Now you can reference the exchange rates in the imported table.  An "External Data" toolbar should also appear that'll let you refresh the data whenever you'd like and fix the selection if they ever change the web page format.
SomeBody Send private email
Sunday, June 04, 2006

One thing you should consider is a disclaimer.  Currency conversions are very tricky and can cost you plenty if you guarantee the conversion.  A client puts something like this on their site/emails/billing.

International currencies are subject to fluctuations outside our control.  Any prices quoted in currency other than US Dollars are subject to adjustment at the time your credit card is billed.

"US Dollars" would be your native currency.  Unless you plan to do real time conversions and bill in the converted currency there will be differences.  If you do plan to do those, then you will need to add the currency type to the record and the conversion so you know later what you really billed them.  (Especially at tax time in the US)
MSHack Send private email
Monday, June 05, 2006

Thanks, that gets me part way there, apparently you're not supposed to have a live data link to xe.com (check the html source on their web page) so I might try to find another source that's more lenient.

As for a disclaimer, yes, we've got that covered. This is for quoting prices for bulk discounts, so the price is always given directly by e-mail, not automatically generated on a webpage. We just convert it to the local currency as a courtesy so international clients don't need to think.
Jean
Monday, June 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics