The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VC++ Memory Graph

I'm working on some DSP-like functions using VC++ and one feature from my DSP tools that I really miss is the ability to graph a block of memory or run a FFT on it while in the debugger.

Are there any 'pluging' or extensions to VC++ to add this capability?

Thanks,

.cp
cp Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

FFT on memory usage ? For what ?
Oleg
Saturday, June 03, 2006

One thing you can do is call your own functions from the immediate window, or (if you don't mind less control over when they get evaluated) the watch windows. I've used this for simpler things like scanning through arrays and printing out fiddly structures in some easier-to-read format. (If you use OutputDebugString in your function, it goes to the immediate window or the output window.)

I've found it to work pretty well. It's not as convenient as a proper scripting system, but it's definitely better than nothing. So my uneducated suggestion would be to look into writing a program, that will display the analyzed data after receiving it through a named pipe (WM_COPYDATA, TCP, etc.). Then make a small function for your program, that you run by hand in the debugger, that sends N bytes of data to it.
Tom_
Saturday, June 03, 2006

Thanks Tom, I was hoping to avoid having to write the graphing code myself but it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.

Oleg, what I'm doing is sampling audio into a memory buffer and running various routines on it (filters, etc.) and I'd like to view the results of the filters without having to write the results to a file and graph them with Excel or some other external program.
cp Send private email
Monday, June 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics