The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

WoW Launch

This is from the patch notes to a World of Warcraft Patch.

"Improved Unstuck
  We've added an auto-unstuck feature that you can use prior to petitioning a GM.  You can use this feature in situations where you are caught in a part of the terrain and cannot get out.  You can find the unstuck option by clicking on the "Help Request" button found on the bottom right hand side of the user interface."

Am I mistaken or is encouraging the users to click on the button for live help like dropping the soap in prison?
I am Jack's interface inuendo
Friday, November 26, 2004

I ma just wondering if it is such a problem that they expected to many calls for the GMs to manage they added something on the interface. 

But I guess it was "Good enought to ship".
Douglas Send private email

Getting stuck in terrain was a constant bug in evercrack. Shortly before they killed off the petition queue for guides, they finally got a /rewind command working. When I was a guide in EQ, at least 1 petition per hour (I only helped on 1 of the 40+ servers) was due to stuck characters.
Peter

I can see how it could be a problem. I just don't think putting the 'fix' under the same part of the interface you go to for live help is a good thing to do.

It just seems like it teaches users to use the live help button as a first resort instead of a last one.

The game sure is fun though!
I am Jack's warcraft woo
Monday, November 29, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics