The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Good website builder ?

I was trying to find a good website builder - something like CityDesk but easier to use/more intuitive.

I need to be able to design my web site, set -up navigation links, etc, then upload the whole html thing to a site.

I tried googling for it but couldn't find to much. I want a desktop app not an online builder - unless it's really good.
The requirements are to be able to produce static html pages for a company website. Whit standard links like: Products, Services, About us, Contact, etc.

What would be a good choice and wouldn't cost a fortune?
John Staffini Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

I don't know if this is up your alley but have you considered using a cms (content management system) like Drupal (www.drupal.org)? If you know a bit of php then you can easily handle it. I used it for a site about a netball club (tangaranetball.org). Hope this helps.
Phillip Flores Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

FrontPage?
Christopher Wells Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

Try Sandvox on the Mac, http://www.karelia.com/.  It's easy to use, looks great, and is very affordable.  It's quite new and still a bit buggy here and there but the updates are coming quickly and I haven't lost any data.
Jon B Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

If you know that CityDesk has what you're looking for, why not just buy CityDesk?  It's not that expensive.

I've got my own solution that's server based (see my link).  Requires you to write your own HTML templates/CSS, but trivially easy to use once that bit is done.  There are lots of other solutions out there too; it's a popular area to write software for.
Clay Dowling Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

Macromedia Contribute is very nice. It works a lot like a web browser. You navigate to your website just like you would in IE, then you can click "edit" which gives you a "WYSIWYG" editor. When you're done, you press "Publish" and it will transfer your changes to the website.

Creating new pages works basically the same way.

It also integrates very well with Dreamweaver.
Shane Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

You can try these:

1. HTML-Kit code editor - free
2. HTML Visual QuickStart 5th Edition book - ~$20USD

Friday, June 02, 2006

I use Google's page builder, and for most normal static content purposes it works really well.It's pretty friendly to use too. However, remember that you can't put javascript and no programming/database etc fanciness is possible. In fact, I discovered that I could not even put google analytics tracker into my own google page :) (the engine eats up any script tag you put in)
v
Friday, June 02, 2006

Ahmed Saad
Saturday, June 03, 2006

Don't use NetObjects Fusion. Its ghastly.
Andy Brice Send private email
Tuesday, June 06, 2006

WebPageMaker V2

http://www.webpage-maker.com/

Namo Webeditor V4

http://www.namo.com/

I have used MS Frontpage 2000, but found it limited, Macromedia Flash MX is good, but to be honest I wish I hadn't spent so much on it.
Leba837 Send private email
Sunday, June 25, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics