The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VFP 3rd party class architecture/framework?

I am currently planning a new VFP 9.0 application and debating about using 3rd party class architecture or developing my own.

This will be my first VFP application. The majority of my programming experience is with C++/MFC. The application I am planning will be fairly involved and for resale.

I suspect the use of a framework will save me time but I am also worried that it may lock me into a certain method of programming. Any thoughts on developing my own vs. purchasing would be appreciated.
Greg G
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Why are you developing using VFP?  I believe VFP is being phased out if I'm not mistaken.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
*Why are you developing using VFP?  I believe VFP is being phased out if I'm not mistaken.*

VFP is definitely fading off into the sunset but officially Microsoft says it will be supported until 2014 or something like that. For the type of application I am developing (fat client) it is hard to beat. My other option was .Net and Access or some other DB but why do that when the VFP has an intrinsic DB that’s faster and very efficient.
Greg G
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
==> VFP is definitely fading off into the sunset

Yeah. Right. I've been hearing this since 1994. I switched to Access/SQL Server back in ... oh 'bout 1997 or so. Wouldn't look back (SQL Server rocks in comparison), but I see that it's 12 years later (from 1994) and FP is still going strong. Someday, yes, it too shall pass ... but not today.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Greg, this vastly depends on the type / purpose and the "circumstances of creation" of the application:

Will there be a developer team or is it a one-person project ? How modular / maintainable does the app have to be ? Is a certain learning curve for a framework acceptable, compared to the benefits it will bring ? What actually should be the framework's main purpose: Database abstraction / access layer, Presentation layer (GUI), Business logic, ... ?

Just assuming that "a framework will save time" is a bit too simplistic a question as it depends on so many factors.

And, maybe the most important question (apart from the question of purpose):
Would you have the time / manpower / skills to develop a framework which will be GOOD / ROBUST / MATURE enough to be used in a rather important application and maybe used in further projects ?
This is a thing you should not underestimate.
Merlin Send private email
Thursday, June 01, 2006
"Someday, yes, it too shall pass ... but not today."

I agree but I wonder why that is so? Are there any big important MS clients that are relying on FoxPro? It seems (almost) nobody is using it anymore but if that were the case surely MS would have dropped it, right?
Chris Nahr Send private email
Thursday, June 01, 2006
If you don't have previous experience with shipping VFP applications, why did you choose it?
Cade Roux Send private email
Thursday, June 01, 2006
“If you don't have previous experience with shipping VFP applications, why did you choose it?”

I choose the VFP because after a fair bit a research I belief it is the best development environment for the type of application I want to build. The fact that I have little experience with it was not of primary concern to me. I want to use the correct tool for job not write something in C++/MFC or C#/.Net because I have more experience with those tools.

I have about 25 years experience in software development and am comfortable in a number of development environments. I don’t think it will be a big challenge for me to come up to speed on VFP.
Greg G
Thursday, June 01, 2006
We don't use a framework, so can't help you with your actual query - but your attitude is refreshing!

Our main VFP app is running quite happily at 3000 sites, probably well over 10000 PCs, so it's not like VFP ain't being used anymore folks!
Qazatory Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006
go to they have a strong VFP community that can help you.

I'm still using VFP 9 with the Codemine framework. Fortunately, there exist a lot of good frameworks for VFP (Codemine, Visual FoxExpress, Visual ProMatrix, Mere Mortals, Codebook (free) to name a few).

If you're doing instensive data work, it's still one of the best tool around. It has its own very efficient data engine but can use SQL Server almost transparently (with local views and Cursor Adapters).

I'm always hearing that VFP will die, etc. But I know some enterprises where they still have Foxpro 2.6 MS-DOS apps that are running quite well. It's because in entreprise, 90% of applications are about data.

I'm in no hurry to switch to .NET right now. Maybe with LINQ, I'll begin to see the light...
Tuesday, June 20, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics