The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Has web technology replaced desktop need?

I am doing an application,which was first designed in ASP,now we r moving to windows forms2.0,because it affords better interactivity,better UI...but I wonder with AJAX can web behave as good as a windows form..
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
No. Web apps can never behave better than a pure desktop application can. However, many AJAX apps DO perform better or are comparable to many of today's desktop apps simply because a lot of desktop apps are so crappy.

It all depends on how good of an AJAX/Windows Forms programmer you are. But the best Windows Forms application will always blow away even the best AJAX application.

And don't forget to look at WPF as another really neat alternative. Very cool stuff indeed.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Emerging technologies such as “WPF+XAML” or “MXML/Flash” has potential to leapfrog desktop applications in functionality and capabilities. The technologies are already invented by small companies, but can they bring a real products to the market is other thing. The following is one example.
I suspect, many other companies at various stages. The “WPF+XAML” is still a year away and lot could happen between now and them. What do you think?
This company thinks they can do better than Desktop GUI-API using Vector graphics:
Couple of notable points:
SVG images are many ways similar to GIF images for practical purposes can be assembled like GIF images.
I am not familiar with SVG/XAML, any expert opinions please?
An Assertion copied from web page: To build great Ajax GUI applications one needs great reusable Ajax GUI Classes (a Class Library or GUI-API) that are more flexible and easy to use than desktop GUI Classes, for example, Java/Swing or Windows/VC++.
Any thoughts on the validity of this assertion? They call it simple logic, any one can validate it.

Any other companies that working on such technologies?

P.S. Attended a presentation of the promoters, so wish to be anon.
Anon for now
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
With AJAX can web behave as good as a windows form? Not that I have seen.
Michael Zuschlag Send private email
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
can WPF be used in a project today..i.e in a live project..
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Beta2 of WPF was just released and the final version won't be out until Vista ships. I'm not sure if they currently offer a "go live" license but I would assume that you would not want to use it for a short term project. If you expect to be developing for the next 6 months then you should be ok.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Yes, Beta 2 of WPF (and the rest of WinFX) now has a Go-Live license.
Chris Altmann
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
I just got asked by a customer to allow them to interactively drag a hole on screen and have the stress over a million points recalculated and displayed in false colour in real time. 

A web app doesn't look like replacing this anytime soon.

For the majority of "enter details click submit get record back" app, yes you could use ajax, or you could use an IBM3700 terminal.
Martin Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006
I think you're all missing the simplest response...

When I was traveling last year, I finally had to give up Gmail as my primary email client and go to Thunderbird.

Connectivity.  If you don't have a *continuous* and stable interenet connection, it doesn't matter how cool your webapp is... you're dead in the water.
KC Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006
When the app in question needs the web interactivity ayway, it's no point in making it harder on yourself, is there?
It's a matter of result=(time*costs) I guess.
Our framework for Ajax applications autocreates exe's out of the Ajax apps by default, as a bonus, sorta..
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Sunday, June 04, 2006
So you're saying that if I have an arbitrary web app that you are going to package it up into an exe to run locally and I can actually pull the network cable out? Not likely.

What you are really saying is that you can give me an exe to run which will go out and hit the web server directly without having to navigate to the site manually. Yawn... So many false promises in the world.

And the point about having to go out to the web anyway does not always hold true. There are many apps which rarely would need to go to the web but people make them web apps anyway. These are the ones that are candidates for desktop apps. But alas, the world has still gone "web crazy".
Monday, June 05, 2006
"What you are really saying is that you can give me an exe to run which will go out and hit the web server directly without having to navigate to the site manually. Yawn... So many false promises in the world"

That is a simplification.
The exe in question can save/access data locally (being an exe) and run offline to a degree if needed, but the basic premise is as you described it.
No false promises there.
- If I made it sound differently, I'm sorry about that.

Funny enough, the general response sofar is that this is an unwanted feature tho, because exe's are regarded as unsafe, and our clients prefer a straight websolution like Google Gmail, since it's deemed safer, without the risk of spyware, etc.

I'm hearing this so often now that I'm starting to think that 'regular software' might go the way of the dinosaurs soon...
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Did anyone go to that link above?  Look at the amount of code you need to write in order to do something that you could do with any windows 4GL without having to type a hundred lines of code.  The web wasn't designed for running rich client apps.  If the problem with rich client desktop apps is deployment, then fix the deployment.  If you want to run rich client apps peer-to-peer (well, we all know .Net is really server based - another bastardization of the WWW), then, well, don't use HTML and http and try to cram it in.  Sorry, but I'm a frustrated developer.  My users don't want web apps but my company insists on it.  What's a programmer to do?
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
I agree. There are certainly things that the web is good for. But right now I'm trying to put together a "Tint Room Portal" for a paint company using web technologies and it is very painful. It's the kind of thing where the people working in the tinting room see new jobs come in and work on them to completion. The screen needs to be updated at near real time as new jobs come in and move between the various stages of completion. People waiting out in the lobby see the status of their tint job and know how much time they have left.

Doing this as a desktop application would be MUCH easier. The web just wasn't made for this kind of thing. We are actually considering going the route of a Java applet to get this done. But if you need to go to that length, why use the web in the first place?
Turtle Rustler
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
+1 to anonymous.

The real issue is deployment, administrative and customer support costs.

If you're a company with 10,000 seats, installing a desktop application, resolving conflicts, identifying bugs and managing licenses, can become a nightmare. On the other hand, everyone has IE installed, Microsoft supports IE, and you only have to "manage" the application on one centralized server.

Fat clients bridge the gap between the two extremes; data gets to be centrally managed.

As a developer, there's little you can do about it. As a project manager, this is actually a constraint or a hidden cost that needs to be taken into consideration when deciding on a technology.
Thursday, June 08, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics