The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

SQLServer Express and MSDE

I see that SQLServer Express does not not support DTS. I red that the old MSDE did, but did they worked well? Are they usable in a production environment? I need a free ETL for a project and it seems the best option, as I already know well sql2000 DTSs.

Many thanks to you all.
Sevenoaks Send private email
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

For what it worth, DTS works great with MSDE 1.0 (SQL Server 7). We have it in production for years. Won't migrate to SQL Server Express for this exactly reason (lack of DTS).
Dmitri Chatokhine
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I use all of the Enterprise manager tools with the MSDE. It is wonderful.

I was under the impression that the DTS tools where part of the client tools in the enterprise manger stuff, and not part of sql server?

So, DTS is not actually part of the server side, is it??

While sql express don’t have DTS, that is due to the enterprise manger tools not working with sql express.

Presumably, we will get a new set of tools.

I have not looked into running sql express in compatibility mode, and continuing to use the enterpirse manger/tools. I thought this was also possible, and if so..then one could use DTS with sql express.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

DTS is a client-side tool. In SQL Server 2005 however, DTS is replaced with SQL Server Integration Services, which is server side and doesn't work with Express or Workgroup editions.

Microsoft doesn't seem to support "old style" DTS with SQL Server 2005 Express. The only support for DTS they provide is to migrate from DTS to Integration Services on SQL Server 2005 Standard and better editions. Unless they change that policy, DTS doesn't have much future with Express.
Dmitri Chatokhine
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Thank you to all.
The point is that I'm looking for something free for a cusotmer who needs to keep costs low. The 2005 Series is out of game, now.
So, If I do install MSDE and an Enterprise Manager client, it is all free, right?

Thank you
Thursday, June 01, 2006

Enterprise Manager is not free. You would need a licensed version of SQL Server to use it. You could probably set everything up for them using your own license but they would not have any way to maintain it if something went wrong.
anon
Thursday, June 01, 2006

Many thanks!
Thursday, June 01, 2006

>Enterprise Manager is not free. You would need a licensed version of SQL Server to use it

Actually, not true!! (sort of!!)

If you download a evaluation edition of sql server, the client tools do NOT expire.

I asked around, and some MS people told me this was a perfectly legal way to get the EM tools for free…

So, if you kept that evaluation edition of sql server, *just* install the client tools ONLY, you will find that they have NO expiry date at all. No expiry date = free!!

I just don’t remember if the evaluation edition of sql server is still around….

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Thursday, June 01, 2006

"will find that they have NO expiry date at all. No expiry date = free!!"

Ummm.... no expiray date is not equal to free. If the licensing of the product says that you can't do what you are doing then you are in violation. The evaluation copy surely says that it can't be used for production use.

But if you are really looking to do something questionable it is easier to just buy the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2000 and use it to administer the MSDE installation. It comes with Enterprise Manager and all of the other tools for "development use" and it only costs about $50. You will still probably be violating the licensing agreement but you could potentially justify it in the customer's eyes if they are actually going to do any database development of their own. Also, the developer edition is the full blown standard edition so they could mess around with full installtions of SQL Server and all of the tools which may possilby persude them into just going ahead and upgrading.

Good luck.
anon
Thursday, June 01, 2006

Licensing for DTS and MSDE can be tricky indeed. They were supposed to work together, but Enterprise Manager was not a part of the free deal. There are "DTS redistributable" files, which were supposed to do the trick without the complete set of client tools. I recall InstallShield has a build-in support for "DTS for MSDE", as an optional addition to their MDSE package.

Disclamer: I never tried to make DTS redistributable work myself. There's a few licensed SQL Servers on our company's network, so we can install Enterprise Manager on workstations with MSDE perfectly legal.

To run DTS without Enterprise Manager, one choice is dtsrun.exe. However, I think dtsrun.exe may not be a part of DTS redistributable.
Another possibility (if you can make it work) is to run DTS programmatically through SQL-DMO. Our application does that, invoking a series of DTS scripts from a VB program.

For other DTS info, check out www.sqldts.com - helped me a lot a while back.
Dmitri Chatokhine Send private email
Friday, June 02, 2006

Thank you to all. Probably now I can arrange a free/very cheap solution.
Wednesday, June 07, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics