The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Source control for one person project

I am thinking of using source control,but which one i should go fir..visual source safe or subversion..i am doing development on .net..
thks
vishy
Friday, May 26, 2006

Subversion has a funny "issue" dealing with dot-prefixed files such as you get in ASP.NET projects. Other than that it's fine for a 1 person project.  I use it for mine.
Lou Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

tortoise CVS
l
Friday, May 26, 2006

I use Perforce, which so far seems to work with everything I throw at it.

It's free for 2 developers, 5 client workspaces.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Actually it's visual studio that has an issue with the dot directories created by subversion.  TortioseSVN has a version (or possibly now just a config switch) for that problem.

+1 for Subversion..  I'm one person, I use it all the time.
Almost H. Anonymous Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

+1 Subversion...  100%
KC Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

if source control = question:
 answer = subversion
next
Martin Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

I know it is not on your list of options, but have you considered Perforce? It is free for a single license.
Harley Pebley Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

I'm also all for Subversion, but if that problem with VS.NET might make it a problem, it might be worth taking a look at Sourcegear's Vault -- http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/

I understand that the single-user licence is free, and it integrates with VS.NET much better than either VSS or SVN.
Berislav Lopac Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

Hi,
i have installed tortoisesvn and subversion...and created a repository..
Now,how to add a folder to this repository..My .net solution is in a folder called "Account Management"..
do i need to install apache server..i am the only one using source control on my computer.
vishy
Saturday, May 27, 2006

ok.. i have found the solution...great!
vishy
Saturday, May 27, 2006

"do i need to install apache server..i am the only one using source control on my computer."

Nope. You don't need the apache server. As a solo developer, SVN includes a completely capable standalone server.

For your current needs, read up on "svn import" (for importing an existing project) or "svn add" (for adding new files/directories).

If you've ever used CVS, Subversion is very very similar.

The docs are actually really really good. The O'Reilly book can be browsed for free here:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Enjoy :)
BenjiSmith Send private email
Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thanks BenjiSmith,

i am also looking for guidance specifically for how to setup source control for a windows application in .net..should i just add the folder..or certain files should not be added..
thks
vishy
Saturday, May 27, 2006

WOW! found this great link..it answers all my needs..
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/040621.htm
vishy
Saturday, May 27, 2006

The latest version of SVN has an option to use underscores instead of dots for it's hidden files/directories.

Create a system-level environmental variable named SVN_ASP_DOT_NET_HACK (yes, that's it's name), and set it's value to 1.

Works great.
example Send private email
Sunday, May 28, 2006

+1 for Perforce
Jussi Jumppanen
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Source Gear's Vault is free for one user. Took me a bit of work to set it up (b/c I couldn't get MS SQL server working ).

The Vault folks were VERY helpful. (I know squat about db's).

-1 for Subversion. I couldn't get it integrated into the IDE (via Anhk, I think it's called). And Ankh wouldn't completely uninstall, so I have leftover menus stuck in my VS IDE.
Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV since 1995} Send private email
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I retract my comment on SVN. I thought this was the .net group.

+1 for CVS with Tortoise. I've used them a lot and like 'em.
Mr. Analogy {Shrinkwrap µISV since 1995} Send private email
Tuesday, May 30, 2006

1) Do not use sourcesafe
2) Use a source control program that integrates with your IDE
3) But do not use sourcesafe
4) To hell with explorer integration when you can have IDE integration
Dave
Wednesday, May 31, 2006

+1 for Subversion for a single developer. 

I just spent a week trying all of the Source Safe to Subversion migration programs/scripts/tools that I could find and none of them was able to reliably migrate my entire repository (other people seem to have success, but I didn't for whatever reason).  So I hunkered down and wrote my own.  VSSMigrate is free, source code included.  It takes a LONG time to run, but it will get every Source Safe revision with comments.

http://www.poweradmin.com/sourcecode/vssmigrate.asp
PA Send private email
Wednesday, May 31, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics