The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

C++ Object Oriented Template Library release 0.1

The OOTL has made some significant progress since I last posted about it a few days ago. It has its own domain at http://www.ootl.org , the documentation has been rewritten, and the first release has been made through SourceForge.net

The OOTL is released with an alpha version of the upcoming Boost interfaces library, which allows the definition of interface types in C++ using macros.

The OOTL provides lightweight object oriented alternatives to the C++ primitives. They have no vtable pointer overhead, and they provide run-time type information without needing RTTI compiler switches turned on.

The OOTL also provides several collections such as Stack, Queue, Deque, Array and List. These OOTL collections are simpler to use than the STL counterparts, and provide run-time polymorphism through interfaces.

Anyway, have fun and let me know if you have any special requests to see in upcoming versions of the OOTL or whether you would like to contribute. Heck, even the occasional word of support would always be appreciated. ;-)
Christopher Diggins Send private email
Thursday, November 25, 2004

Well, I haven't tried it out yet (i'll probably have a play at some point, but if I try this weekend my girlfriend will kill me). But I will put in a word of encouragement - go for it :) The future directions for collections looks interesting, and I like the sound of transactional/safe collections, it sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to having a proper read soon, even though i'm no c++ expert!
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Friday, November 26, 2004

So where abouts is this in Boost terms?  This is a submission, right?  (Or at least BIL is?)
i like i
Monday, November 29, 2004

What happened to Christopher's "Polymorphic behavior without trying" thread? Did Joel delete it or what?
Alex Send private email

Almost Anonymous Send private email

Oh thanks, don't know how I missed it.
Alex Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics