The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

OpenLaszlo anyone?

http://www.openlaszlo.org/

Has anyone worked with this yet?

What are your opinions of this?

Did you use the DHTML, Flash, and did you do anything with J2EE and Tomcat?
~Eric
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

At a previous company where I worked, one of the teams was building the web UI for the new version of our software using OpenLaszlo.

I never touched it myself (though I was very curious about it), but the developers who did work with it said, emphatically, that:

1) The documentation was very poor. Luckily the forums were somewhat helpful.

2) There were still a lot of bugs and undocumented features. Learning the API just by reading tutorials was very difficult.

3) They had to use a lot of hacks and work-arounds to get the system to work. But they could usually get an acceptable result, once the figured out the workarounds.

4) The compiled flash files were very very big, and often the UI was sluggish. To deliver a full CRM application, they eventually had to break it apart into multiple separate functional modules. Otherwise (with just one monolithic application), the Flash player would get bogged down, and the user would get annoyed with the slowness of the UI.

Keep in mind, I never used it myself. But those are the things my co-workers would complain about when we went to lunch together. And they worked with Laszlo for more than six months, so they knew it pretty well.

Also, since that time, the Flash Player 8 (and OpenLaszlo 3.1) have been released. They may have fixed a lot of the performance problems.
BenjiSmith Send private email
Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thanks Benji, that's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for.
~Eric
Thursday, May 25, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics