The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

ajax library

The recent announcement of Google Web Toolkit is quite a step in the competitive ajax library market.  As a java-based developer, I am interested in using it as I hate the productivity loss encountered when hacking through actual xbrowser javascript.

I am concerned it may lose out in power/performance though, maybe through loss of control over what processing can be put into the client-side (table sorting, paging) for example.

Would it be worth persevering with Dojo or another traditional ajax library?

What are your specific experiences?
Entropy Send private email
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

You can only make an accurate assessment when you have attempted to use it in your current working environment. Like everything, it will have specific weaknesses which inevitably lead to loss of productivity, but ultimately its up to you to work around those weaknesses or continue with your existing setup. Can you afford the overhead of learning this framework only to find it isn't suitable for the tasks you frequently encounter?
Gavin Laking Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

I can afford to fiddle about myself to a degree, but as the purpose of web communities such as this discussion group is surely to gain from others experience, i'm hoping someone else feels they can contribute...
Entropy Send private email
Sunday, May 28, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics