The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Tight-coupling examples

Hello-

I'm looking for a good non-technical example of tight-coupling to use as an analogy. For instance, ny example of loose-coupling is modern plumbing. An ideal example needs to be something in our everyday life and, ideally, a bit humorous.

Regards-
    Eric
Eric Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

All your body parts. Wouldn't it be nice to replace a liver without having cut you open and worry about organ rejection?
son of parnas
Monday, May 22, 2006

I like that. We cannot vary our own implementations reliably. We are a pain to debug. And none of our systems are reusable.

Great thought.
Eric Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

There are also some funny tie-ins with the maintenance cost of the human body.
Eric Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

Tight coupling is generally considered as something bad in the IT world. But if an human, or better: any biological organism is an example for tight coupling ... i don't know if that is such a good example then - as nature in general has proven for millions of years that this kind of design is quite successful and well performing ...

;-)
JK Dev
Monday, May 22, 2006

> as nature in general has proven for millions of years
> that this kind of design is quite successful and
> well performing

As a population, but not individually. Indovidually as long as we pass on our genes we can break down at 40 and its cool. Personally I think it's bad design.
son of parnas
Monday, May 22, 2006

Although tight-coupling is generally thought of as bad, it isn't always. There are valid reasons to make a tightly-coupled system - performance is the usual motive, but I'm sure there are more compelling biological motives that apply in this case. So, I think I can make an effective example of the human body as being tightly coupled without passing judgement on our design.

However, I do then to agree with son of parnas. I see room for improvement.
Eric Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

"I do then to agree" == "I do tend to agree"
Eric Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

> I see room for improvement.

I might be more upbeat about the wonders of the human body if so many parts of me didn't hurt right now :-)
son of parnas
Monday, May 22, 2006

Your daughter's boyfriend comes over to watch TV while you and the wife are out of town.

There'll be some tight coupling, which is obviously undesirable.
example Send private email
Monday, May 22, 2006

A typical car engine in coupled to gasoline, whereas a steam engine can operate on anything that burns.
namehere
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Especially if a child process is spawned...
example 2
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

There is tight coupling in individual modules, which is often a good thing, but the human race as a whole is very loosely coupled.
Joe
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

What about watch-straps tightly coupled to watches (for example if you cannot replace your leather strap with a metal bracelet) ? Or if you have to use a bracelet of the same brand ?
Pakter
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"As a population"

Ecologically of course nature _doesnt_ use tight coupling. Different ecosystems can use different organisms to implement particular roles - top carnivore, grazers, scavengers, etc...
Java GUI Developer
Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Keys are tightly coupled to locks. If your wife decides to change the lock on the front door while you are away, you are totally hosed.  ;)
Turtle Rustler
Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Nah, Ill just use Windows
Java GUI Programmer
Monday, May 29, 2006

Tight coupling would be if you could not transplant your  liver without replaceing all your other organs also.
Eoin Prout Send private email
Tuesday, June 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics