The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Autoresponders

Hi All

My ISP is pretty useless when it comes to auto responders. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. And another thing that really ticks me off is that they only have just 1 message per email address.

So I am looking for a way to send a simple response to an email enquiry that is generated from a mailto: link and sent us from the default email client.

I would like to be able to send different messages according to what is in the subject line.

I am running on a Windows Server

Any help most appreciated.
jeffrey lewis Send private email
Friday, May 19, 2006

I use the GLOC email responder. You can set up relatively sophisticated rules quite simply:

http://www.glocksoft.com/?source=gep
Andy Brice Send private email
Friday, May 19, 2006

Thanks for the swift reply Andy

If I am reading the website right, it would appear that this program works on the client side..........I would have to run my machine all the time.

Whereas I really need a server side script that would handle replies when I was not around.

Regards jeff
Friday, May 19, 2006

Jeff,

Yes. It is client-side. I would be interested in a server-side responder that:
-was easy to set up on my ISP's machine
-has easy to configure rules
Saturday, May 20, 2006

Ps/ If you are running a Windows server I don't see why you can't install it server-side.
Saturday, May 20, 2006

Hi Andy

This looks and promises a lot and there is a free version
http://daniberg.com/aar.ph

I used to use something that auto responded to a paypal payment...and based on the correct payment and item title in the subject line sent the payer a download link from server side.

It was a monster to set up and the guy that sold still spams me years later, but it did/does work.

It was a collection of PHP/MySQL files and folders that fitted in one folder on your website

Something like this but without the paypal capability would be great.

Regrads Jeff
Sunday, May 21, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics