The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

How does Joel do it?

I keep a lot of bookmarks, but Joels image/ico is the only one staying put.
All the others vanish after a while.
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What web browser are you using?

What operating system are you using?

Do you have any third party utilities running that could potentially affect your bookmark?

Etc etc.
TheDavid
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ha! I took the OP's comment to be metaphorical... by "Joel's staying put", I thought he meant that he eventually deletes all bookmarks except JoS.

Are you really talking about favicon.ico, or was this a broader comment on Joel's ability to consistently produce a compelling read?
PWills Send private email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The latter.
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'd say Joel reads like hes breaking the magic circle, i.e. given out the 'real' secrets that many books don't cover. maybe so you have to learn some stuff for yourself.

e.g. seen many books on excel, *none* covered how to plot a chart from a dynamic range. which according to the help file you can't do. well you can, i got a smug grim from a training consultant bout that one. he understood it fully and refered to it as a standard trick thats not 'in the books'

Joel reads like an insight into that, i.e. someone you can trust to go that little bit further.

its like citydesk, most stable, well written prog i've every downloaded. i don't *use* it cus it doesn't do all i need but its an amazing program. *and* we have articles on how it was developed and why some choices were made.

the sites light on ads and other *bs* and frankly i love Joels writing style.

when i finally get the budget mesa getting the books
Claire Rand
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sorry for going off topic, but Claire, can you post how to chart that dynamic range?
J. B. Send private email
Thursday, May 18, 2006

You can use named ranges to plot charts dynamically, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/assistance/ha011098011033.aspx
Ben Meadowcroft
Thursday, May 18, 2006

plotting a dynamic range is actually pretty simple, consider the following...

1, you can plot a named range
&
2, you can create a named range from a formula.

combine the two and watch the errors.

ahem.

when you write your formula ensure *all* ranges are static, note you can use the 'ADDRESS()' function to return a static address from dynamic input.

then it works.

typically i'm plotting date ranges from a huge list. i have a formula that returns the row of the first date i want & the last, then its a case of building the forumla from that to return a simple range via the OFFSET() function.

note the named range dialog doesn't like the cursor keys and will make a hash of your formula if you let it, so build it in your sheet, ignore the error it returns (since it returns a range and not a value) then copy & paste into the dialog.

you can also do this via VBA, but frankly you don't need to.

I'd knock a full article up on this, if i had my own hosting to post it to (hopefully soon :-) )
Claire Rand
Thursday, May 18, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics