The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Help! Windows Inventory

Hi, all

We are currently using WMI in our Hardware and Software Inventory system (under windows, and we use C++). However, we found WMI does not work very well in practice. For example, it can not collect some software or hardware information sometimes and occasionally, there are weired characters like "???" in the collected information. Does anybody know other techniques or open source tools that can do a better job? Or any other suggestions? Great Thanks.

Dan Kong Send private email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
John Staffini Send private email
Tuesday, May 16, 2006
I'm using WMI extensively for a lot of management and inventory purposes. I poll the computers (a few thousand) using a multithreaded C# app and it works great (just gotta have half decent error handling, some PCs are somewhat problematic). Then it's all written to a huge XML file that's used by my asset management app (C# too), along with more data sources - one of those being an "export" from everest (ran on every PC).

Thursday, May 18, 2006
I want to do a application in .net with WMI and C# that returns all software’s installed on a computer don’t only the software’s installed with MSI, I know that’s a consult in register that’s returns all software’s but i don´t know how, you know something about that?
Diogo Mendoca Verissimo Send private email
Friday, May 26, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics