The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

C++ Book Recomnendations

I've just discovered why I've never used try/catch in C++

My 'Teach Yourself C++' book by Herbert Schildt was published in 1992. It says 'try, catch, throw and template are reserved for future use'!

Granted I do very little C++ coding, I have done Win32 and a little MFC. But now I need to learn how to do it the 'real' way, so what are your recommendations for good C++ books for experienced programmers who need to come up to speed quickly.

Thanks!
cp Send private email
Saturday, May 13, 2006

Accelerated C++ should do the trick combined with The C++ Programming Language for reference.
Mark P. Sosa Send private email
Saturday, May 13, 2006

You really can't beat "the c++ programming language"

Herb Sutter c++ coding standards has a good guide to exceptions.

Meyers 'Effective C++' tips are good for helping become an 'expert' quickly
Martin Send private email
Saturday, May 13, 2006

'C++ programming with design patterns revealed'...

As well as learning you how to program C++, it also tries to improve your OOP programming skills, which might be exactly the thing you need when you didn't know about try/catch ... :-)
Leon Mergen Send private email
Saturday, May 13, 2006

My favourite C++ book is "Core C++: A Software Engineering Approach" by Victor Shtern - It's a bit of a tome but covers everything from basic principles, and it's focussed on creating decent maintainable software :-)
Ken Greene
Saturday, May 20, 2006

+1 for Meyers 'Effective C++'.

Meyers may be a bit for advanced C++ developers and I'm not claiming to be advanced as I also admit I have to go back to basics to figure out what Meyers is talking about sometimes...  The Effective C++ seems to jump between STL and straight up C++ which kind of bugs me since I don't know much about STL.  Meyers almost forces you to look up things you don't know and that, in it of itself, makes you a better developer in my opinion :)

I recommend his series.  Effective C++ and More Effective C++.  In the later, he introduces RCObject class which is very slick!
~Eric
Thursday, May 25, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics