The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Which technology to use ?

I am designing a GUI tool that would enable user to design their own GUI using my tool. The user can choose from only 4 ( I will increase this number later depending on requirements) forms to design his GUI application.  The user will need to supply data while designing his application using the 4 forms. The data goes in a database and is retrieved depending on the logic used in the user's GUI. 
Finally the user must be able to collate all the forms and make an independant application that can be distributed to his users to run on several PCs. The application is only targeted to run on MS Windows.

Which technology should I use for above app ? What database should I use ? I am a starter in this area so would appreciate detailed inputs. Also, I am very open to using open source as the cost needs to be very minimal.

The technologies I know that can be used to design such a GUI application are as follows.

VB, Java Swing or .NET

I don't know whether VB can be used to design an app that generates another app.
Basically, I am a C++, UNIX, Embedded app developer and I am developing GUI s/w for the first time.

Thanks
Sandeep
Sandeep Chavan Send private email
Thursday, May 11, 2006

In fact, if I can do this stuff in VB (like making a GUI app from a VB app) then I would like to go the VB way.
Iam just not sure whether I can do this in VB or not.
Thursday, May 11, 2006

Check out sqllite - it's great.
L. Lort
Thursday, May 11, 2006

How about flash?
son of parnas
Thursday, May 11, 2006

Yes, VB can be used to make applications that... make applications.

We have a development tool that accepts slightly altered classic ASP pages and generates and compiles VB CGI programs from them for non-IIS use.  It isn't any harder to compile VB from the command line (spawned process) than any other language.
Glen Hamer
Thursday, May 11, 2006

>>Yes, VB can be used to make applications that... make applications.

Thanks Glen, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I just have to figure out how to do it. I will try to build a simple application that will generate another form printing "Hello World" when the user clicks a command button.

I have already designed the application forms and I need to add this "Hello world" bit. Any starter ideas ??
Friday, May 12, 2006

Sandeep,
    If you are not concerned about downloading .NET runtime, then .NET is an excellent choice. I have used the introspection/reflection (?Java term - I use both) capability to create an application which automatically generated a thick client application for accessing a web service (a thick client version of the common HTML based approach for testing simple services).

.NET API has capability that can create an application, compile it and launch it. The power of API is better than Java 1.5.

HTH,
Serge
Serge Merzliakov Send private email
Tuesday, June 06, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics