The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Clas Invariant

Hi,

I want to know how an object of a clas must be constructed which has some invariants?For example,itinerary specification is a class which when constructed..number of days must be > 0,client name should not be empty..now i normally hav done this was..
ItinearaSpec it=new ItinearaSpec
it.noofdays and it.clientname(both are set methods of properties,where i check if data is valid)eg
ItineraryDays
{
set{check if data is valid..if not then a boolean variable is set to true which indicates an invalid state and an event is raised to client}
}

But, Now i have been reading about immutable objects..and design by contract..i need some practical suggestions,and options?
thks
vishy
Vishy Singh Send private email
Tuesday, May 09, 2006

well if you are using C++ this is how you do it:

-decide what invariants you have
-make those variables private
-write a constructor for your class
-make sure that by the end of your constructor all invariants are satisfied
-create "set" methods that maintain the invariant

The key to success is establishing the invariant in the constructors
Tom
Tuesday, May 09, 2006

but if someone passes a value which is not satisfactory..what should i do in the constructor..raise an exception..or use a property to say invalid state..basically object should not be created..so shouldnt it be checked before calling a contructor..maybe a factory object..which will check if invariant criteria is met..and then create object??
vishy Send private email
Tuesday, May 23, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics