The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Efficiency of PCI-Slot-BUS-devices VS Integrated Chipset Devices

I know its a hardware question.. but there are lots of hardware guys here too (i think).

What is more efficient in terms of latency, DMA transfers, etc,etc?

A 32bit PCI Bus SCSI Card (Adaptect 1940UW)

OR

the "built-in" nVidia nForce4 Ultra chipset SATA2 controllers on my MOBO.

I know that SCSI drives are much faster in IO then SATA2 and the SCSI controller/driver uses much less CPU utilization than SATA2 controllers/drivers.

but what about DMA to SATA2 vs DMA to PCI-BUS card slot?

any ideas?
Heston T. Holtmann, B.Sc.Eng. Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

This isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison.  You're mixing interconnect technology (PCI slot vs. integrated) as well as drive controller technology (SCSI vs. SATA).
example Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

I think that the I/O is the bottleneck here, so the SCSI should be faster even as a PCI card. But that's just guesswork.
Roman Werpachowski
Friday, May 05, 2006

It depends on the individual board, but generally an "integrated" device is connected just like any other PCI device would be. There's no performance advantage or penalty for the integrated component vs a card in a slot.
Mark Bessey Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

Mark,

it depends on whether the controller is put on the MOBO separately from the chipset, or integrated in it. If it's the first case, than it's connected to the chipset via PCI or PCI-Express. If the second, the connection should be faster (not via PCI or PCI-X).
Roman Werpachowski
Friday, May 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics