The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Integrating my software with SMS gateway

I want to add an SMS notification system to my software, so that when something goes wrong as SMS is sent. Initial investigation reveals that there are _lots_ of SMS gateway services available. It seems that typically an SMS is created by sending an email to a particular address, or through HTTP GET or POST requests.

Has anybody had experience with these methods who give feedback as to the pros and cons of these approaches?

Can anybody recommend an SMS gateway service that works well, is affordable, and is usable by people in the entire world?
Imminent Send private email
Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My biggest customer is in this space...  to send a *true* SMS (and not simply an email to phonenumber@carrier.com), you have to have connections (called a bind) directly into the carriers.  There are lots of companies that have these and simply resell access to others (called aggregation).  Not many companies have access to all the carriers of the entire world as most will focus on a single market or continent (US, Europe, South America) but often they'll have multiple markets covered.

Since the second (or third or fourth) company is simply reselling the service, you should work to move as far up the chain as possible to cut out various margins.

If you want to have a short code to accept MO's (mobile orginating) messages, you normally have to request and get approval for a code from all the carriers involved.  In the US, there is a central registration authority which can get the number across the major and secondary carriers.  From what I've seen, this normally costs about $1k/year alone...

Compliance with the carrier rules is something else entirely.  If it's a premium (subscription) campaign, there are an entirely different set of requirements than simple messaging.

There's more, but that's the beginning...
KC Send private email
Wednesday, May 03, 2006

i have used clickatell gateway
http://www.clickatell.com/
bumperbox Send private email
Thursday, May 04, 2006

You will have to approach mobile communication provider in for a Gateway. Most of the times, they might hand you an encrypted url where you need to post the message as well as the number which sends the message to that number.

The number@cellprovider.com way works but wont work for all the providers/carriers. More over, if they realize that you are using it for commercial purposes then they might block you IP.

I am sure the gateway wont cost you much. If you think an SMS gateway is expensive in here(USA) then try to get in touch with a provider in a country like India where they are very cheap.

HTH
Sri Send private email
Thursday, May 04, 2006

I've always just used the carrier's email mechanism and this has worked great for me.  For simple one way notifications, going through any sort of SMS gateway is going to be extreme overkill. 

If your app already supports email notification, it means no extra work for you to implement other than maybe adding a link to a help file or web site listing different carriers' formats. 

No one's going to block your IP (particularly since your IP presumably wouldn't even be used since the message would be going through the user's SMTP server).  As far as I know, it's not against any terms of services. 

A quick google search shows that Live Journal is using this for their text messaging system and has a comprehensive list of email formats:
http://www.livejournal.com/tools/textmessage.bml?mode=details
SomeBody Send private email
Thursday, May 04, 2006

OP here:

Thanks "SomeBody". I didn't know of that option but it seems to be perfect for what my application needs.
Imminent Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

"The number@cellprovider.com way works but wont work for all the providers/carriers. More over, if they realize that you are using it for commercial purposes then they might block you IP."

This is *not* and SMS.  The message might be delivered via SMS but it is simply an email.
KC Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

"No one's going to block your IP (particularly since your IP presumably wouldn't even be used since the message would be going through the user's SMTP server).  As far as I know, it's not against any terms of services."

Also, my customer has been blacklisted by one provider... all email traffic from their domain is dumped... even the messsages directed to support@carrier.com

From what I've seen, I haven't really found an explicit ToS governing this, but if the users start complaining or your sending lots of messages, you're going to get dumped.
KC Send private email
Friday, May 05, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics