The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

pretty GUI

How can I do what Trillian did with its GUI? It's different than what comes standard with Windows. How do they do that? Create their own UI? Buy it from someone?
beautify_me
Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Maybe they used something like this:

http://www.codejock.com/products/toolkitpro/
Andy Brice Send private email
Thursday, April 27, 2006

It seems Trillian uses the in-house made GUI library.
Dennis Crane Send private email
Thursday, April 27, 2006

It is typically called skinning. Prof-UIS http://www.prof-uis.com is another library with skinning support.
Neville Franks Send private email
Thursday, April 27, 2006

I see. Thanks
beautify_me
Thursday, April 27, 2006

Trillian - it looks and feels terrible too. I'd be wary of skinning or using non standard UI look and feel. The only application I can think of that managed to pull it off is Nullsoft and Winamp.
RandomPunter
Thursday, April 27, 2006

I like interfaces with eyecandy. So do most mainstream consumers. Trillian is pretty cool although not necessarily the best. I just used it as an example since they managed to change the GUI without having to change the theme for the entire desktop.
beautify_me
Thursday, April 27, 2006

If you use a tool like Spy++ on their option window you will see (if I remember) that its mainly just a window and they draw everything manually.  They do not add things like a listview or icons, its all just drawn themselves.  I am not sure if they wrote their own or use a different system, but since they are not saying "Hey, just use a skin from WinBlinds for Trillian" it makes me think that they made their own.
SteveM Send private email
Thursday, April 27, 2006

It'd be much better if XP itself can support themes as good as Qt, GTK, or OS/X's GUI.

App-specific skins may look pretty, but they just dont fit on the desktop.
AqD Send private email
Saturday, April 29, 2006

Many users carefully choose the appearance of their system; some are forced to, due to vision or other impairments.  Skinning, unless applied as a system-wide preference, disregards those choices and forces the user to adopt your idea of a 'shiny' UI.

My advice: take the time and money you're planning on spending on skinning, and spend it on usability testing & enhancements.

W.r.t. Trillian - sometimes Alt + Space, N works to minimise the app, sometimes it doesn't.  Why?  Something to do with the skinning; when it does work, the traditional Windows toolbar appears over the skin, and when it doesn't work, the skin remains intact.
Duncan Bayne Send private email
Tuesday, May 02, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics