The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Win APIs compatability?!

Hi all,
 Just curious about to know: will current win apps work under the new release of win? What about those heavy using win32 API? Will Avalon API broke all these apps?
Ach Send private email
Saturday, April 22, 2006
Of course they will work. Do you think anybody would upgrade if all their apps broke?
Saturday, April 22, 2006
No way. The .NET zelots would like you to think this, but Win32 as it stands is going to be around for a long time.

On a similar note. I was talking to my buddy that works at a bank. Much of their mortgage, loan and other software is still Win16! - All running under Windows XP

The only thing you may miss out on is *new* functionality. New features that you can only access using .net
Steve Wiseman Send private email
Saturday, April 22, 2006
No Ach they won't work. Everyone will have to make their software all over again and everyone will have to buy all new software.
Saturday, April 22, 2006
There's no reliable way of knowing. That's life. But there are bounds to be some pieces of software that won't make it across. Massive changes in architecture break things.

Anyone get 16-bit Windows VXDs to run on XP SP2?

What we need is some level of abstraction we can rely on not to change in a way that isn't backward comptabible, and that will work the same on more than one platform. We haven't got that. Sometimes they promise us that, but they always break the promise. Look at Java. Deprecated methods all over the place. Different "varieties" and subsets of Java for different platforms.  Write once, run anywhere? Forget it.

In the open source world there's a thing called autoconf that tries to cope with the problem. It doesn't do it all that well but it tries.
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Microsoft will never break backward compatibility. This is one of their key selling points. I recommend you this article .
smalltalk Send private email
Wednesday, April 26, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics