The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

GUI fonts

I'm curious what fonts people here prefer for their GUI elements (in desktop apps).

I'm having trouble deciding on one that's more modern looking than MS Sans Serif, but doesn't have a huge footprint like Verdana.
Nick Hebb Send private email
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

AFAIK: your apps should use "MS Shell Dlg 2" - which is an alias for Tahoma. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282187
Duncan Smart Send private email

Tahoma

And why does the footprint matter? Aren't you going to pick a standard font that is already installed anyway? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "footprint"?

Use what the user tells you to use via their Windows settings.
Chris Altmann
Thursday, April 20, 2006

Use Chick or Baby Krufty if the user has them on their system.  If not, gracefully degrade to Comic Sans MS. ;-)
S. Tanna
Thursday, April 20, 2006

Related to this question, what fonts can you assume will be installed on every windows system?  I'm really not a big fan of MS Sans Serif either, as it looks horrible as the font gets larger.

Tahoma is a nice one by the way.  Is it always installed?
Aaron_
Thursday, April 20, 2006

Tahoma is always installed on Windows 2000 and above. It was the recommended font for Win2000 so you could count on it being there.
anon
Thursday, April 20, 2006

And if it isn't installed the OS will fall back on something suitable anyway. The likelihood of this happening when using Tahoma is next to nil. But even if it does happen that 1 in 1,000,000th user will just see something like Arial or MS Sans Serif instead.
anon
Thursday, April 20, 2006

Thanks anon.  Just the information I was looking for.
Aaron_
Friday, April 21, 2006

BTW, thanks for the feedback on this. You can tell by my questions, I haven't given localization enough attention in the past. I'll go with Tahoma.
Nick Hebb Send private email
Friday, April 21, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics