The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Does this do it?

I have this problem of quickly explaining an AJAX framework, making it easy to get started with it.
But a) I'm not nativly speaking english and b) I'm not sure exactly how much need explaining.
- It's really simple.
I've tried it this way: http://www.naltabyte.se/howto.htm but I'm unsure whether it does the trick or not.
mikael bergkvist Send private email
Sunday, April 16, 2006

Am I dreaming, or do you have to put all the code in an XML file? If so, please shoot me now.
sloop
Sunday, April 16, 2006

XML, html, potato, potatoe..
It's just a small webpage, xhtml, and it's set up exactly the same way as dhtml is.
If you call on ten of those xml-files, all ten apps will become embedded onpage and be run individually, but as a single unified process to reduce the serverstrain.
They will never conflict and you can add or remove any of them on the fly, simply by clicking on a link.
Sunday, April 16, 2006

And no, this replaces 'classic asp' alltogether so an asp-page works just as easy, or one can take it from a database field, if it's security you refer to.
Sunday, April 16, 2006

It's not security I'm thinking of, I just don't think any kind of code belongs in XML files that are meant to be edited by humans.
sloop
Sunday, April 16, 2006

??
Sunday, April 16, 2006

I'm asking if this makes any sense, if I get the point across, and then the replies I get make no sense at all in return?
I use xhtml so that I can treat the apps modulary, and embed/remove them on the fly.. what's the big bad about that?
Sunday, April 16, 2006

sloop is refering to the fact that nobody wants to put code in CDATA fields in xml files. It's almost as ugly as putting code in a database.
Matthias Winkelmann Send private email
Sunday, April 16, 2006

Oh, I see.
However, in this case, the benefits might outweight that.
When in xhtml form, the apps become very easy to 'plug'n play' in various contexts.
However, the code in question can be linked to just as easily, so one doesn't have to put it all in the xmlfile anyway..
I'll guess I have to make a note of that.
Sunday, April 16, 2006

I would also have a step by step example showing exactly how your technology might be of benefit. I must admit that I don't really see the point just from what you wrote on that page, so I would have some examples showing how you would do something with your technology, and how it would be done without your technology. Presumably yours makes life easier somehow, but it's hard to see that without comparing it against something.
sloop
Sunday, April 16, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics