The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Authorisation Kittens

This could take off, click the kittens combo to get in http://ageeks.blogspot.com/
KS
Thursday, April 13, 2006

The problem with it right now is that it has a finite number of kitten pictures, so if you wanted to get around it you'd just have to feed your bot all the kitten pictures.

To make it really bot-proof, you'd want a webcam permanently pointed at a bunch of living authorization kittens, so you could show a different picture every time.
Edmund
Thursday, April 13, 2006

I like neopets.  They have a nicely colored map or scene, then they overlay the map with an alpha blended creature from their many "neopets" somewhere on the map.  They say "click on the [monster]". The thing is, because the colors are all in the same pallette, and the monster is just alpha blended over them, you have to be able t oidentify them.
Mike johnson Send private email
Thursday, April 13, 2006

The problem with this is some people won't be able to distinguish kittens from otters etc...

Plus the big parade-rainer - accessibility.
And I LIKE kittens...
Friday, April 14, 2006

A similair solution could work for online banking.

You submit some pictures of yours to the bank.
They mix them with the millions of other pictures sent in by all their customers.
The bank login shows a screen with a couple of your pictures and n others - you know which are your pics.
Martin Send private email
Friday, April 14, 2006

Meh. How many images do I have to select out of how many? This could take WAY longer than just typing in a password since I actually have to process all of the images, and a bot could still get a reasonable hit rate; choosing 3 kittens out of 9 images means a 1 in 84 chance of being right, so a bot doesn't have to try that many times to pass.

Granted, kittens are infinitely more cute than most other forms of authentication, so there's that.
Ian Schreiber Send private email
Friday, April 14, 2006

How many kitten images are out there, total?
Mr. Powers Send private email
Friday, April 14, 2006

Not nearly enough.
I luv kittenz
Saturday, April 15, 2006

An ATM solution might work better and be more secure, if they showed 50 pictures or whatever, and one of them is yours. you press it and another screen fills up with 50 pictures and again, you select one. Repeat this one more time, probably. In each case, you only get a few tries. Maybe 3 per screen.

Also, I like the idea of a "none of these pictures are mine" button.

---

Even said, this is less secure. Your skizzy brother in law or step son could steal your card and probably pick your pictures.

---

Which leads me to ask: what problem is this solving?
Shane Harter Send private email
Saturday, April 15, 2006

The kitten one is solving the "stop bots getting onto my site"
The photos of friends is solving the "I don't understand and can't remember secret numbers / passwords"

Alternatively both of them are solving the developer having too much time and not being rich and famous enough problem.
Martin Send private email
Sunday, April 16, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics