The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Looking for the smallest possible Java Web-App MVC library

So here's the deal:

We're writing a small UI on top of a service which processes documents inside of our datacenter. The service is written in Java and so we want to leverage the existing code - so the UI will also be written in Java.

All in all the first release of the UI will probably have at most ten screens with a limited set of functionality. That said, we don't want to use something as big as Spring or Struts in order to accomplish this. We've got a pretty big Spring app right now; and it's just way to much for what we're building.

In all likely hood we'll expand the UI a few more times, but it's unlikely to change fundamentally any time soon (the service would have to basically be scrapped for that to happen).

So, what I'm realy looking for is a quick MVC library that doesn't do anything else. Has anybody used something that they can recommend? Does this even exist? Or am I doomed to use a masive framework if I don't want to build it myself?

I appologize if this is a repost, I've searched the forum and can't find any examples of what I am looking for. I have read Benji's article:
 and I tend to agree. (Oh and yes I know how to use google, I'm looking for some personal experiences with this.)

So anybody use/know of a Java MVC library?

Thanks in advance!
reid Send private email
Wednesday, April 12, 2006
write it yourself is probably the best option here.. most of the frameworks encompass everything possible rather than being lightweight enough for very specific use cases.

it's not that hard anyways... i think someone on here said it the best, that you don't see a proliferation of regexp packages because it's HARD!  MVC webapp frameworks built on top of the weath of OSS components are pretty simple in comparison.
I've been using the Maverick framework at work. I've been using the .NET version, but I read that the Java and .NET versions are very similar.
slartibartfast Send private email

You may want to have a look at I don't know if it is actually simpler than spring. But it allows rapid prototyping and along come other goodies as for for webservices, plain rmi, servlets, ejb what you like.
Jürgen Send private email
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Id go with roll-your-own too. Most of what you need is in the servlet API already anyhow.

On the web MVC is 80% frame of mind and only about 20% code. Much of what is in Struts is stuff that you wont need for a simple project. (ie: Tiles, etc...)

You can use the model2 pattern of JSPs to render the view and servlets as the controllers.

You could probably make it very simple. Use doGet to set up stuff and redirect to a view JSP (use JSP2 and EL, and the JSTL tags, and you probably wont even need any extra custom taglibs).

Just use a simple bean to pass viewstate to the view in the same way you would have used an actionform if you were in struts.

Use doPost to process submissions.

Use a servlet for each screen and web.xml to map it all together.

You will probably find you need to add a bit more as you go along, but what Ive outlined above is simple enough to bang up a proof-of-concept for a single screen.
Java GUI Programmer
Thursday, April 13, 2006
Please, use the best framework you can find. There are so many already that no one will want to help you to maintain yours.
Thursday, April 13, 2006
In all probably the smallest web app server and framework is Simple[1]. It does not use the Servlet API, however its real small and very fast.

Jim Griffin
Saturday, April 15, 2006
Well, I think we're leaning towards rolling our own. I had seen the Maverick framework in my search (and that's pretty much what I am looking for), but it appears the Java version of the framework is stagnant. Does anybody know if the Java version of the project is still alive?

Simple looks interesting, but we'd like to stay on tomcat for the sake our of infrastructure group.

So, for an app with eight different screens (pending a marketing review); I think we're just better off writing something simple ourselves.

Thanks again!
reid Send private email
Monday, April 17, 2006
Someone around here used to push Tapestry.

It will run with Tomcat.

You should give it a look.
Tuesday, April 18, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics