The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Idea/Primer for creating Cybercafe software?

Anybody with an idea on how to create a cybercafe software?
I'm interested on the part of controlling the login prompt.
E.g. when windows boots a custom login window must appear first. And what language is suited for this type of app?
Thank you.
Monday, April 03, 2006
I have seen a number of open-source cybercafe applications make use of zbdesk. zbdesk springs from an older cybercafe project.

zbdesk is Visual C++. You have to dig lower than .NET to hook into things like log-in and log-in and lock-screen. I think it's just a part of the solution however. You have to lock Windows down as well (depending on the type of cybercafe you intend to operate or write for). zbdesk just puts up a screen.

In short, there's two part: 1) system lock-down, presentation UI; 2) POS. #1 requires a bit of win32 know-how and requires you to continually understand Windows security from NT through Vista.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Monday, April 03, 2006
Just leave the computers wide open and setup a ghost image.  Takes 10 minutes to re-image and you can tell people they and do whatever they want as far as installing SW goes.

Still need to do the billable part though. but thats how I'd do the machine OS.  No matter how much you lock it down, you'll get someone that gets past it, plus the viruses.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
There are Linux distros for this exact use. Limited Windowing enviroment, use Firefox and openoffice as well. All as a builtin timer.
Tuesday, April 04, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics