The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Html Edits in Web Page

I'm tasked with building a web page that allows the user to make very simplistic edits to an HTML file.  Specifically, the user is allowed to click someplace in the document, press a button, and insert an <A> tag at the cursor location.  After making one or more of these insertions, the user can save the HTML file back to the server.  The application is basically a bookmarking utility that integrates with a content management system written in .NET.

Anyone know a simple way to do this?  I've been looking at the WebBrowser active-x component and a component called r.a.d Edit by telerik, but both seem to be overkill for such a simple task.  Both also seem to have a few side effects I don't like much, too, such as allowing the user to make other kinds of edits.

Any pointers much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
WebNewb Send private email
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Artad Gobeski
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The scriptaculous JS library has an 'inline edit' ability that you might be able to use.
G Jones
Thursday, March 30, 2006

jimmy
Thursday, March 30, 2006

The "designMode" and "contentEditable" based solutions already mentioned are one way to do it. However, I think this particular problem is better solved with DOM and selection manipulation.

Basically, find out where the user clicked or what he selected and then manipulate the document to your liking (insert "img" at the clicked location, enclose the selection in a "span" element, adjust the "className" of the selected object etc.).
Aapo Laitinen Send private email
Saturday, April 01, 2006

Monday, April 03, 2006

Thanks a lot for the inputs.  Definitely seems like there's a better solution in one of these approaches :)
WebNewb Send private email
Wednesday, April 05, 2006

FCKeditor rocks!
AqD Send private email
Friday, April 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics