The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Visual C# learner's text

A colleague highly recommended this book and knows the author: http://www.lulu.com/content/198013

It is a self published book called "Programming C# with Visual Studio .NET 2005".

I read the sample PDF and checked out the table of contents. It seems to deal with the stuff that I want to learn initially.

Can anyone say if they liked this text or if they can recommend a more mainstream book that they consider better?
Bored Bystander Send private email
Sunday, March 26, 2006

The book is too "beginnerish".  Poor use of space and far too wordy.  His attempt at simplification makes the tone come off as mildly condescending.  I would only recommend this book for the greenest of beginners but even then . . .

C# is ridiculously similar to Delphi so you will have no trouble picking it up, but grab yourself an intermediate text.  I don't have a suitable recommendation other than this book isn't it.
Matt Foley
Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hm, ok. I scanned the sample excerpt briefly and he seems to have left out all the mechanics of CLR linkage, assemblies, and other external infrastructure which are kind of a black art to me at this point. Plus as you suggested too much "here is what variables and arrays are" type stuff.

I always liked O'Reilly books... think I will look there. Thanks.
Bored Bystander Send private email
Monday, March 27, 2006

Get Richter's book instead if you want an understanding of what the .NET framework (with C#) is about. It's just come out in second edition now for v2 of the framework. It won't teach you C#, but that's not difficult if you know C++, Java or Delphi. It's what the language and framework concepts are about that matter.

Aside from that, what area are you interested in? ASP.NET or WinForms?
el
Monday, March 27, 2006

el
Monday, March 27, 2006

It all depends on what your current knowledge is, do you know how to do object oriented programming in some other language, do you know Windows programming before, will you be looking into doing web programming or windows programming?
Patric J Send private email
Monday, March 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics