The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Perl/Python SOAP clients?

I work primarily in Java and C++ in a Linux environment.  It's been relatively easy to build SOAP services using Apache AXIS and to consume them using AXIS CPP.  I'm sure that if I had to, I could just as easily build .NET clients.

My problem is that I have to build Perl and Python clients. So far, my research has me thinking that I'm in serious trouble.  Anyone using SOAP::Lite successfully for modern web services (doc/lit with complex types)?  How about with Python?
Friday, March 24, 2006
I've used Soap::Lite, but with a pretty simple web service (a wrapper around a stored procedure to insert to a database table), and really only for testing and debugging.
George Jansen Send private email
Friday, March 24, 2006
For PHP, we've used NuSOAP successfully and it was developer friendly and worked great.
cbmc64 Send private email
Friday, March 24, 2006
i just wrote a SOAP::Lite client against an axis (java) server. No problems. for python I have used soappy in non-prod code
Tom Vu
Friday, March 24, 2006
d'oh, got my P scripting languages mixed up. On the Perl side, we've used SOAP:Lite successfully and it worked well.
cbmc64 Send private email
Saturday, March 25, 2006
I've just recently fiddled around with SOAPpy for integrating us of the Amazon Web Services API into the portal application I'm developing in Python/Django.

I found that to be incredibly easy and straightforward. It reads the WSDL and gives me methods which I can call.

Only problem I had -- I couldn't find a way to change the namespace shortcut to something else. SOAPpy insists on using "ns1:...", some of the Amazon services will only work with "typens:..."

Daniel Send private email
Wednesday, March 29, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics