The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

VS.NET application working in release mode but not debug

Talk about taking an old problem and confusing it; I have a VS.NET application (written in C# and containing wrappers to unmanaged C functions) which is working fine in release mode, but when compiled in debug mode (and the binary is executed, NOT running through the VS.NET debugger) attempting to close the application results in strange and (to me at least) inexplicable decision paths being taken.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem in the past?

Chris Wilson Send private email
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Have you checked the variable values in the debugger?

In Release mode, variables that are not initialized have no defined state. However, in debug, memory is set to predefined values, allowing you to spot an uninitialized pointer in C with the value of 0xCDCDCDCDCD for example, or a previously freed memory with something like 0xfrefrefre. This is the case for C and C++, but not sure about C#.

Perhaps this change from a completely random value is causing your program to deviate from the way it does in release mode?
Josh McFarlane Send private email
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Watch out for out-of-bounds array indices as well.
nickelplate Send private email
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
I've found this article to be useful. Although it refers to release mode problems, it's also good for debug mode issues as well.

I would definitly check out the variables in the debugger. My suspicion is that some memory is getting whacked somewhere or isn't initialized properly in the first place. I've had similar issues where the debugger initialized everything *just right* and it worked, while running outside of the debugger caused a crash.
QADude Send private email
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
Most propably you have some sort of stack corruption problem that alters the return address of the function, thus leading to peculiar execution paths. You certainly have this problem in release mode also, but it is not as visible as in debug mode.
Achilleas Margaritis Send private email
Thursday, March 23, 2006
The debug vs. release issues with uninitialized variables is true for native C/C++, but is not true of .NET.  In .NET variables are always inititalzed to 0 (or empty string or whatever) for you so that is not an issue AFAIK.  I would imagine that the problem is in the unmanaged code.
Friday, March 24, 2006
So what's the status of this problem? If it's still unsolved you might want to take a look at this recent MSDN article by Stephen Toub:

It's about "managed debugging assistants" in Visual Studio 2005 which are used for automatic tracing & breaking on common problem sources. A bunch of them relate to native code interoperation which I'm pretty sure is at the heart of your problem.
Chris Nahr Send private email
Saturday, April 01, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics