The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Examples of innovative web applications / interfaces?

I'm starting a new project to rewrite a large web application.  It has calandering, contacts, and various domain-specific operations.  I've lots of experience building web applications but I'm looking for cool and innovative interface ideas.

If anyone knows of any good web applications that I  should look at (for example, Gmail) I'd love to hear about it. 

Thanks!
Almost Anonymous Send private email
Saturday, November 20, 2004

Whatever you choose but please do NOT over do it. I like gmail because it does NOT over do it (in fact, in some cases it underdoes which is fine).
Pythonic Send private email
Saturday, November 20, 2004

Well, i'd say that rather than innovative use of the technologies, i'd start by concentrating on the usability and then working out how I can provide the kind of intereaction I want too with the tech available. So i'd start by looking at people like 37signals, and especially the basecamp proj. management tool they produced - look into some of their redesigns as well, especially the 37better project.

Take a look at silverorange as well, they won the award for best intranet twice from nn/partnership, and it does have some nice little deisgn/UI features.

It's loads of fun to start thinking of clever things to do with the tech available, but work out what you need to do first. If you don't do that, all the XMLrpc in the world won't make the users any less pissed off...
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Sunday, November 21, 2004

I'm actually trying to keep the site user-interface design simple.  Basic XHTML, cross-browser support, etc.  But I still want to see what is available and make use of any interesting widgets that can improve usability.

If you can still find access to it, try Oddpost web e-mail. Last I heard, new users couldn't sign up.

A GIS program called ArcIMS by a company called ESRI uses a clever way to communicate between the browser client and the server. Part of the page layout includes a very small frame which is used not for display purposes, but to create and parse XML which goes to the server and back with instructions. Worth having a look.

One of the best examples I know of is unfortunately inacessible as it is on an internal government intranet.
Herr Herr Send private email

You can do interesting stuff with HTTP push technology.

http://www.mod-pubsub.org/
Pythonic Send private email

Take a look at http://www.json.org for a good way to handle data transfer in JavaScript. Then do a search for XmlHttpRequest and away you go!
Richard Rodger Send private email
Monday, November 22, 2004

I've read maybe seven books on the subject of usability and never seen any "interesting widgets" recommented as a way to improve it. Quite the opposite recommendations all the way.

The explanation is that after widgets become widespread enought so users are no longer confused by them, they're no longer considered "interesting".
Egor

"I'm looking for cool and innovative interface ideas"

Are the users of the system asking for a cool and innovative interface? I doubt it. Make it do what the users need; make it fast, stable, and easy to learn. That's a lot cooler than mystery meat:

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.html
Tom H

"Are the users of the system asking for a cool and innovative interface? I doubt it."

I'm just asking a simple question here!  Has anyone seen any innovative web interfaces.  Maybe I should have been more clear: I want to see clean and usable web interfaces. 

"The explanation is that after widgets become widespread enought so users are no longer confused by them, they're no longer considered "interesting"."

Does anyone know of any sites with good boring?  Maybe a good combobox?  How about a date picker?  Perhaps a nice formatted input control?  Maybe some good ideas on how to handle menus and navigation? 

Honestly, You're all too cynical!

gmail spellchecker
Aytekin

http://www.scottschiller.com/

Validates Strict XHTML, No Flash, No Kidding.
MT Heart
Tuesday, November 23, 2004

there's only ever been one HTML interface that was

a) truly innovative

b) truly good

The original Google.

Everything else copied it or sucked.
phil jones Send private email
Thursday, November 25, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics