The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

how do you use vcal?

I have been asked to coordinate schedules between systems using vcal. I can find a lot of info on vcal the format, but I don't see much on how it's used in real life.

Am I supposed to have email go to an email server, parse the email, and then set scheduled from the email?

There's also something called SyncMl. Is that a better option?
son of parnas
Monday, March 20, 2006
You'd need to be a bit more specific.  What exactly are the systems?  VCal afaik has been superseded by iCal, a newer format.  Most desktop scheduling clients support these microformats, including MS Outlook.

I.E. I've just completed an app in which events are listed on a web page.  The user clicks an event, and it's downloaded to their client in VCal format to be opened by whatever calendar tool they've got running.

I've a feeling you want server side integration by the sounds of it though...
Rutherford Send private email
Monday, March 20, 2006
whoops just to add: SyncML is a proprietary format for syncing Blackberry clients with a users PC-based inbox.  Unless it's Blackberry sync'ing your needing, I wouldn't have thought it's any use to you.
Monday, March 20, 2006
> You'd need to be a bit more specific. 
> What exactly are the systems? 

I think people will get ical/vcal requests in their email. Those requests would need to be forwarded to a central manager and a master schedule would be updated.

That's about all I know for now.

Thanks for the SyncMl info. I didn't know it was Blackberry only, it seemed more general than that.
son of parnas
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
SyncML is actually an open standard. The "open" part means you can download and implement the spec if you wish:

As far as I know, the client part is implemented in at least Symbian OS (think Nokia series 60 phones), so it's not limited to BlackBerry.

There's even an open-source implementation for the server part of SyncML:
Krzysztof Kowalczyk
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
If you think of vcal as basically a file format then it should be possible to attach it to an email using MIME encoding.

Instead of the user/system 'forwarding' this mail about it would probably be prudent for the source to send it to all interested parties i.e. master repository and user's mail client
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics