The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Duration of Tooltips

I had been under the impression that the length of time a tooltip displays can be controlled by the user changing some Windows setting. But I can't find any reference on that, so I'm now thinking I was wrong. And idea of the easiest way of doing that? Thanks.
Robert Lerner Send private email
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Why would you want to do it instead of leaving it a system setting?
John Topley Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

I override my application's hint hide pause because many hints are quite long. Of course I have a very easy-to-find setting "hints on/off" for those who don't need them, and perhaps having their hide-pause configurable wouldn't hurt either.
Frank de Groot Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Default values proportionate to  Double Click Time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/tooltip.asp

And more details at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/tooltip/messages/ttm_setdelaytime.asp

---- TTDT_AUTOMATIC
Set all three delay times to default proportions. The autopop time will be ten times the initial time and the reshow time will be one fifth the initial time. If this flag is set, use a positive value of iTime to specify the initial time, in milliseconds. Set iTime to a negative value to return all three delay times to their default values.

The default delay times are based on the double-click time. For the default double-click time of 500 ms, the initial, autopop, and reshow delay times are 500ms, 5000ms, and 100ms respectively.
KayJay Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

I've never understood why a tooltip should eventually disappear after a certain length of time. Seems to me it should stay visible until the mouse is moved off of the control.
Karl von L. Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

"I've never understood why a tooltip should eventually disappear after a certain length of time. Seems to me it should stay visible until the mouse is moved off of the control."

Perhaps for touch screens...?  Where the user doesn't move the mouse.
Caffeinated Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thanks very much. It turns out the language I use allows it to be done via the code, even though the docs said only with 16-bit apps.

John- because the 5-second or so system duration isn't nearly enough for the amount of text some tips have.
Robert Lerner Send private email
Friday, March 17, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics