The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

x++ What do you think

I am just wondering what you folks think about this "new" language x++ or also known as superx++.  The only thing I can see it used for is Microsoft AxTapa.  It seems like a potential orphan language and not much use but I could be wrong.
Confused
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

XML is a data representation formalism, not a programming language... Why express a program in XML syntax? It's overly verbose and not designed for the purpose.

Sure, you can, but why apply hammer to nut etc etc.

http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/

It makes me ill.  Holy cow.  Is it a joke?
bmm6o Send private email

"Why express a program in XML syntax?"

Because it lowers the bar significantly to writing tools that generate and edit the 'language', and it makes it much more likely that third party tools will emerge that do so, and thus that the language in question will gain market share, thus bringing 'glory' (thought leadership status) to the companies that pushed that language and thus more market share for their tools that execute it.

Best examples I can think of would be things like WS-BPEL (aka BPEL4WS) and similar xml dialects used for defining business processes and wiring together composite applications. You can define the code for the process flow in the XML without ever seeing the actual XML using some  tool that gives you nice flowcharts and such like. The more choice of such tools there is the more attractive your platform to execute the resulting code is compared to a competitor who is using something propriatary.

As for superx++ .. cant really see this one taking off.
Java GUI Programmer
Thursday, March 16, 2006

"Why express a program in XML syntax?"

Because you don't know Lisp, and need to re-invent it (badly) yet again?

Still, the "Updated: Sunday March 21, 2004" at the top of the page makes me think that the authors may be having second thoughts.
Mark Jeffcoat Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Isn't XSL a programming language in an XML dialect? But you're right, you can buy a car with pennies, but why would you want to?

XML is a language language. XML languages are nice ways to mark up text. They're not good for much else, though you can make them work with lots and lots of hard work.
Steve Hirsch Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

And yet Microsoft is using this in Axapta ERP system and presenting it as the next best thing.  The IDE for it is Morphx and I notice the morphx.com domain is for sale. I would have thought that MS would want the domain to go along with the tool they have.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/Axapta/TOOL/TOOL_MorphX_development_tools.asp
Confused
Thursday, March 16, 2006

XML is also used to express build processes in NAnt...
J
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Great! I didn't know about x++, but I wanted to do something similar once. Still, it doesn't bring something new over LISP, except the buzzword compliance.
smalltalk Send private email
Thursday, March 16, 2006

That's pretty awesomely bad. I couldn't find any reference to it being distributed on April 1st though. Are they really serious.

I downloaded the sources. Here is Hello World in x++:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<xservices>
    <xservice name="Calculator">
        <method id="M1" name="Mult" type="int">
            <parm id="P2" type="int" pass="val" name="Parm2">25</parm>
            <parm id="P1" type="int" pass="val" name="Parm1"/>
        </method>
        <method id="M2" name="Flip" type="int">
            <parm id="P3" type="string" pass="ref" name="Parm1">Hello World!</parm>
        </method>
    </xservice>
</xservices>
Art Wilkins
Sunday, March 19, 2006

I hate that shit-like syntax.
Daniel Chein Send private email
Monday, March 20, 2006

There are two x++'s.  One is the XML based Superx++ on sourceforge.  The other is an ERP configuration language used in Microsoft Dynamics AX.  Microsoft recently purchased the product formally known as Axapta.  Microsoft's X++ is a byte code interpretted language similar to Java.  It was first released in March 1998.

Cheers...David A. Ferguson
David Ferguson Send private email
Monday, March 20, 2006

Thanks David.
But that is why I am confused.  I seem to see the syntax is java like..but stored in XML.  I just do not understand why.  So you are saying superX++ which changed it's name from X++ has nothing to do with X++. ???
Confused
Thursday, March 23, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics