The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Pseudocode or Flowchart Examples?

Does anyone have any pointers to good books or online sources where I could find pseudocode or flowchart examples for various algorithms/applications?

When I say "pseudocode," I mean something like this:

http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~jdalbey/SWE/pdl_std.html

Not the 'pseudo-bastardized-Java/C++/PHP/VB language-syntax' thing that I usually see called pseudocode...

Why aren't there more things like this to help newbie programmers...so that people can get a better idea about how programmers THINK about problems without getting bogged down in a specific syntax or higher mathematics? 

One would think that this type of pseudocode/flowchart information would allow people to communicate more easily and that there might be a greater exchange of ideas...easier teaching of concepts, etc.?

Why doesn't a central directory of pseudocode/flowcharts for various applications exist, for example?
Curious Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

If I remember correctly, I think Russell/Norvig's "AI: A modern approach" textbook describes various AI algorithms in pseudocode. (http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/).  You should be able to find that in most university libraries, if you want to just page through it without buying it. (since I'm not absolutely sure that it does this...)
-
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I meant university bookstores...
-
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The first edition (and I expect the 2nd edition too, I have read it) of the book titled _Code Complete_ advocates "PDL (Program Description Language), which means that the programmer writes english-language comments to describe the algorithm before inserting code to implement each comment.

_Code Complete_ is a good book.
Christopher Wells Send private email
Wednesday, March 15, 2006

> I have read it

... I haven't read it ...
Christopher Wells Send private email

I second _Code Complete_.

>>One would think that this type of pseudocode/flowchart information would allow people to communicate more easily and that there might be a greater exchange of ideas...easier teaching of concepts, etc.?

Ever heard of UML (Unified Modeling Language)?  That's the outcome of years of work by lots of smart people (Booch, Rumbaugh, Jacobson, and many others) and the winnowing of ideas on the subject. Problem was/is, intelligent people disagree on what's the best way to represent an idea.  My way of representing a class or function call or looping construct or <your thing here> may not make sense to you and vice-versa.  Holy wars were fought over this in the 80s/early 90s.

So, the semi-short answer is that there is/are ways to generically describe programming constructs.  Personally, I like using something like _Code Complete_'s PDL or CRCs, but if I need to share, especially outside the group of folks I work with regularly, it needs spiffing up.  For me, UML is too much like real work <g>.

see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Modeling_Language
see www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/holy-wars.html
a former big-fiver Send private email

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics