The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Please critique concept: best practices matrix database

I was working on this for a local Quality SIG, but that's more or less disbanded. So now I'm doing this separately. The idea is to organize all thoughts and opinions on best practices into a matrix of five or six dimensions. Each dimension is an aspect of software development.

Anyone can log in and post thoughts or links to useful articles, and the values he chooses for dimensions will help give a searchable structure to it all.

It's very much a prototype at this point. I'd appreciate feedback to guide me in what direction to take this.

http://phpbb.blcss.com/dbbestpract.php
Rowland
Monday, March 13, 2006

I like it! Would love to see a 6D User Interface to navigate the matrix :-)
Matthias Winkelmann Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

Two more things I noticed: some dimensions should be expanded and might need to become trees. I was looking for GUI business applications, but there's only "GUI". Then I wasn't shure if GUI meant "just User Interface" or any standard "rich client" application.

Two: "Any" seems to only find entries where "Any" was explicitly chosen for that dimension. If I search for "Any" in all dimensions, I get no result, although I would expect to get all entries. So I'd say "Any" should truly mean "any" as in =ANY OR =A or =B.
Matthias Winkelmann Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics