The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Product Name & Namespace

I have been wondering if anybody has a solution or suggestion to this problem.

When I am building applications as a consultant, I have been using this format for my namespaces:

CompanyName.ProductName.BLL
CompanyName.ProductName.WebUI

I think this is one of the widely used formats, and I haven't had a problem with it unitl now. I am about to begin developing my own product and there is no one to give me a "ProductName".

I have a codename for the product but I don't want to use it as a namespace and let it get stock in the code for a long time. I also don't have the time to come up with a product name right now.

Any suggestions??
M.Davis Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

Use the product code name and get something out there.
John Topley Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

Yup.  You can always grep it later and change it.  It's more important to start work on your product.
example Send private email
Monday, March 13, 2006

Make your code name distinctive and not at all related to the product. If you've picked the right name, your IDE should be able to find and replace it easily.

For example, "datagizmo" would be a bad choice since "data" is a common word.  "aardvark" or "hippopotamus"  are good choices in comparison.
TheDavid
Monday, March 13, 2006

> datagizmo" would be a bad choice since "data" is a common word
Hmmm, that's like saying that aardvark is a bad choice because "a" is a common letter...
Joe
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Java way solves this problem by using domain names (reversed), like com.mycompany.mypackage.

This system garantees unique package names.

It is a pity that microsoft didn't adopt this practical scheme.
Erik Springelkamp Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

How would that solve the O.P's problem? He/she hasn't decided on his/her product name yet.
John Topley Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Even if you pick a name now, it may well change before release.  And even if it doesn't change this time, it will on some other project.  And you probably don't want to limit the directions in which the project could grow by trying to stick with an internal name, even for a minute.

I've finally come to believe in code names for projects.  Pick something and go with it.  But as others have said, make sure it's uniquely searchable.

If you really want to spend time picking a name, there are lots of sites out there for pet names, etc.
rkj Send private email
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics