The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

InstallShield 11.0

We are using .NET 1.1 for our project.
Recently I was told to use InstallShield 11.0 for doing the setup.
The question is why would we need InstallShield 11.0 when all the setup and deployment functionality is in-built in .NET?
Chacha
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Because you can add annoying splash screens, EULAs, readme files, registration keys, etc...
DJ

Perhaps you need an installer that can ensure the .NET runtime is installed.  You might want to check out: IntallAware:
http://www.installaware.com/
Troy, MicroISV Send private email

I use advance installer. Very simple to use. I had everything working in minutes.

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
Steve Haunts Send private email
Wednesday, March 01, 2006

" Because you can add annoying splash screens, EULAs, readme files, registration keys, etc..."

The build in microsoft installer does all those things, and can check for .NET, etc...
Phil Send private email

"... why would we need InstallShield 11.0  ..."

Oh, that's easy.  So your company can spend $1,400 on a product they will use once every two years.

What is it that makes InstallShield so ridiculously expensive?  Or perhaps a better question is, what is wrong with our industry that it costs $1,400 to buy a customizable product to install our software?  It makes no sense ...
Karl Perry Send private email

Installshield?

Run far away.
example Send private email

Usually, decisions like this are made on the basis of liability and accountability. If something goes wrong during installation, the executives can complain to Installshield.

Microsoft has enough clout that they can pretty much say "you didn't do it right and I'm not changing my product to suit you."
TheDavid

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics