The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Grow your own?

Bob Walsh recommends using a website template for your MicroISV.  I've looked at a few, and my HTML/CSS skills are rudimentary, to say the least.  However, I suspect my app may turn out to be web-based, rather than a downloadable stand-alone *.exe (or maybe both).

What's your experience with customizing templates to BE the front end of your app?  Should I stagger on through with my self-education?

thx
Ideophoric Send private email
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I think templates are great for getting teh structure done quickly.  I'm talking about templates for 2-column layouts, 3-column layouts, etc, etc.  That gets the majority of the div placement done for you.

After that I'd suggest doing the color, graphics, and other things on your own.
Larry Send private email

"and my HTML/CSS skills are rudimentary, to say the least.  However, I suspect my app may turn out to be web-based"

Well, I have some good news for you: Your web app will be crap and you'll be lucky if you have any customers, so noone will care.

Oh, wait, that's not good news at all!

Perhaps if you're expecting to write a web app you should learn how to create a basic web page, no?

Templates are fine, but no substitute for being able to do it yourself - especially when the template needs tweaked. Besides, if templates cover your entire site, doesn't that imply that you're very late to the party?

Ideophoric,

If your app is going to be web-based, then don't you think that you'll need expert-level (or at least very good) HTML and CSS skills? Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you here.
Exception Guy Send private email

Dear No name,

At least I have enough creativity to come up with a screen name.  I can probably come up with a website--I have five "static" sites already.

My application may be crap.  But it's mine, and I'll work on it, and if I'm too late to the party, I'll at least have learned some CSS along the way.  It's real work, not just tearing down other people's ideas.

Good luck with your efforts.
Ideophoric Send private email
Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ideophoric, putting cynical assholes in their place! You go!
Damien Katz
Monday, February 27, 2006

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics